Server Modpack questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaemosDaen

Jul 29, 2019
We want to set up a server based on the ultimate pack, except we will probably be removing several mods. Will the users be able to connect to the server using the ultimate pack, or will we have to distribute our own server modpack.

Also, how are permissions handled with server modpacks? Several authors are saying "no unless your FTB" (TC3 is an example of this) or just no longer read their MCF thread (RP2 is an example of this.) will we not be able to include them in a server modpack via the FTB launcher?

If this has been asked, my apologies, please point me to the right location.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
there are plans for private server packs, each will be identified by a unique code the user can enter in the launcher

all mods in the pack will need permission to be distributed with FTB

jjw123

Jul 29, 2019
i can confirm that permissions are needed for private packs distributed through the launcher

DaemosDaen

Jul 29, 2019
So in other words the ability to do private packs is completely useless since we will not be able to get the proper permissions.

To prove me wrong, supply solutions for the 2 mods mentioned in my first post.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
you can still modify the pack yourself after you have imported it but that will need to be manual, (and you'll have to walk your users through the process but it isn't hard to do)

I'm not sure about what will happen about the configs though... can any dev give clarification

TC and RP2 gave permission for FTB which means also the private packs distributed through FTB (unless I'm missing something)

jjw123

Jul 29, 2019
private packs can not use the FTB permissions, they are for FTB official packs only. you need your own permissions

DaemosDaen

Jul 29, 2019
so this is only really to be used by the bigger servers or more famous people (like DW20) then.. oh well, looks like it's back to the old method of server pack handling.

Reactions: EpicAdam

Greevir

Jul 29, 2019
so this is only really to be used by the bigger servers or more famous people (like DW20) then.. oh well, looks like it's back to the old method of server pack handling.
Pretty much. This feature is pretty much useless for smaller servers as more and more mod authors are simply not taking PMs about mod permissions. It's kind of the reason I just stick with MultiMC and just pack and send the mod pack myself.

Reactions: EpicAdam

dali99

Jul 29, 2019
quite useless actually... If there was an option for someone to at least having to download the mod and put it in a folder (alà multiMC) and still auto-install them.

Reactions: Orochikaku Datta

Orochikaku Datta

Jul 29, 2019
Pretty much. This feature is pretty much useless for smaller servers as more and more mod authors are simply not taking PMs about mod permissions. It's kind of the reason I just stick with MultiMC and just pack and send the mod pack myself.

Do you think you could point me to a guide on how to do this, or can you tell me how? Thanks :D

logoster

Jul 29, 2019
oh, really, nice to know that the private mod pack thing is going to be completley useless, as most mod devs dont seem to reply, and there's nothing on eloraams blog AT ALL about mod packs, and eloraam seems to always be eaither coding ("more features :)") or at work or just living life ("for those of you noobs saying that eloraam needs to just code, you need to realize that some people actually HAVE a life") so, unless the launcher dev is wrong about needing permissions for private packs, ftb might as well remove that feature, as most people have no idea how to add mods to the mods folder, hence why they use mod packs :/

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
GAH, several mods devs will allow their mods to be included in these private packs by default, some might put conditions on who can use them but I don't see that happening beyond an age restriction

so a dev can say only in pack with my explicit say-so (what you all seem to assume) or all packs available through FTB (what you all want)

DaemosDaen

Jul 29, 2019
GAH, several mods devs will allow their mods to be included in these private packs by default, some might put conditions on who can use them but I don't see that happening beyond an age restriction

so a dev can say only in pack with my explicit say-so (what you all seem to assume) or all packs available through FTB (what you all want)
Forestry, Thaumcraft both have stated that they will not allow anyone except a select few (Sengir says "close friends") and the FTB team. RP need permissions, but Elo never reads her thread, and has no other place to posts requests, I have absolutely no clue about IC2's stance and Buildcraft is open-source in the truest sense of the word allows inclusion in modpacks.

and EE is still in an alpha state.

If 4 of the primary tech mods can't be used, then what's the point?

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
honestly I think that the devs will be a bit looser about FTB private packs

besides eloraam's thread only applies to pre5 and FTB has permission to distribute RP2 which I think can be expanded to the private pack downloads (can any one who actually has a proven line to her confirm?)

also IC2 has a policy which say go ahead and redistribute as long as you link back to the site and don't profit or have special permission

DaemosDaen

Jul 29, 2019
honestly I think that the devs will be a bit looser about FTB private packs

besides eloraam's thread only applies to pre5 and FTB has permission to distribute RP2 which I think can be expanded to the private pack downloads (can any one who actually has a proven line to her confirm?)

also IC2 has a policy which say go ahead and redistribute as long as you link back to the site and don't profit or have special permission

I did not know that about IC2.

As for the rest, if they do not post it, you can't use it without permissions.

and here's sengir's stance concerning forestry: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/ftb-central-mod-permissions.3801/#post-43242
As I do not know sengir, I will not bother asking since I can't get permissions, for me, Forestry is a dealbreaker so I'm not gonna bother at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.