Update on the Future of FTB Modpacks in 1.7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
I humbly apologize if I have given credit where credit was not due; I remember talking to jaded about them and her being quite vocal concerning them but I will admit to not being 100% sure where all of the work for them came from. Hopefully it is clear that my goal was not to offend anyone but to simply give praise, if it was misdirected I shall follow up with this:
Thank you Eyamaz for the work that you have done. ;)
In fact, the entire team really does awesome stuffs, everyone pat yourself on the back for me <3

As far as I'm concerned, when thanking someone here. Thank everyone. :p

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
What does this mean for me? I have RF support but it is heavily throttled because RC is designed to use its own power system, and this is for obvious reasons not going to change.

I must admit this makes me rather worried to see, as it can rather easily be framed as "if you want your mod to be included in the packs, you better not have your own power system", which is core to RC.

Reactions: PeggleFrank

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
What does this mean for me? I have RF support but it is heavily throttled because RC is designed to use its own power system, and this is for obvious reasons not going to change.

We've already discussed this. Shush. :p

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019

I must admit this makes me rather worried to see, as it can rather easily be framed as "if you want your mod to be included in the packs, you better not have your own power system", which is core to RC.

Depends what packs it fits in.[DOUBLEPOST=1398480788][/DOUBLEPOST]
The only mention I saw was "RC is not a universally accepted power system", which does little to help assuage my concerns.

That's because someone was all "RC is a universal energy system"

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Depends what packs it fits in.
From what I can tell, most FTB packs fit into one of two categories - "flagship" and "backwater" - with the former having a massive userbase and often being seen as synonymous with FTB, and the latter getting little usage aside from a few small groups. I fear I will end up in packs (The "let's add all the tech mods", maybe?) fitting the latter but not the former under these new rules.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
From what I can tell, most FTB packs fit into one of two categories - "flagship" and "backwater" - with the former having a massive userbase and often being seen as synonymous with FTB, and the latter getting little usage aside from a few small groups. I fear I will end up in packs (The "let's add all the tech mods", maybe?) fitting the latter but not the former under these new rules.

There is only 1 flagship pack in any version of MC. There are several "backwater" packs that have as much if not more players. We cannot keep putting every mod in as many packs as possible. It leads to way too many bugs and issues.[DOUBLEPOST=1398481113][/DOUBLEPOST]
I assume Dire's pack will be immune and still have all the things.

It will have whatever Dire puts on the list.

DragonLord88

Jul 29, 2019

The only mention I saw was "RC is not a universally accepted power system", which does little to help assuage my concerns.

You ready have agreed that RF is a well accepted bridge for multiple mod. This doesn't really change anything for you. All what's happening is the fact that IC two and Bill craft are being thrown to the wind.

Engineering talking your mod is not considered a tech mod it's a neutral mod. So feed the beast mod packs have their thing you can't compare all mod packs to be a few categories.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Basically 5 mods do not support RF natively. IC2, Buildcraft, Forestry, Factorization and Railcraft. Continuing to place mods in the main packs that do not support RF makes no sense. We end up going "everything can be run off this one power system, except these 1 or 2 mods which need their own thing." MJ can fit because the conduits convert to MJ. But IC2 and FZ just don't fit. When IC2 and BC were the mods that everyone used for power the packs were built around them. Now mod devs have mostly moved to RF. Continuing to include things because "tradition" is silly politics and leads to stagnation. It leads to perfectly good mods getting overlooked as people cling to the "traditional" By splitting the energy systems up into seperate packs we allow for more variation. Just think: a steampunk factory pack with Steve's Carts, Steve's Factory Manager, BC and FZ, a High-tech pack with IC2, and GT,a magic pack with TT, Forbidden Magic, and many of the Thaumcraft addons, an RPG pack with Witchery and Botania, new mappacks based around different mods with tutorials and quests. (No this is not a list of the packs we are definitely creating) Once we stop trying to shove all the mods into one pack and dealing with the tech support nightmare we have more room to branch out. And we leave room for the community to make packs that aren't just the same as our packs with 1 or 2 differences.

IC2 and BC aren't going to die just because we move them out of the primary packs and into separate packs.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Magic World has never had Tech mods...
Mmmm... Magic World 2 doesn't have tech mods. Magic World 1 had more tech mods than magic mods-
tech: BuildCraft, Forestry, Railcraft, Steves Carts, and Thermal Expansion
magic: Mystcraft, Thaumcraft, Twilight Forest, and EnderStorage if you count that as a magic mod

Granted, there were not very many magic mods back then. It was basically that set, Ars Magica, and some smaller and crappier mods. Oh, and also some strange mod I found on the Japanese MC forums that adds fairies and stuff- it was weird.

Reactions: Padfoote and Flipz

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
Mmmm... Magic World 2 doesn't have tech mods. Magic World 1 had more tech mods than magic mods-
tech: BuildCraft, Forestry, Railcraft, Steves Carts, and Thermal Expansion
magic: Mystcraft, Thaumcraft, Twilight Forest, and EnderStorage if you count that as a magic mod

Granted, there were not very many magic mods back then. It was basically that set, Ars Magica, and some smaller and crappier mods. Oh, and also some strange mod I found on the Japanese MC forums that adds fairies and stuff- it was weird.

Please please please make a video of this, it sounds like fantastic entertainment. :p

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Please please please make a video of this, it sounds like fantastic entertainment. :p
I don't remember what it's called, but I'll try to dig it out of my Skype logs :p

Edit to add: It's the Touhou items mod

Last edited:

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
I am fully supportive of the FTB team's decisions, as they are not nerf-all-the-things people; balance, standardization, and simplification are good things.

[wallOfText]

I like the fact of power standardization. I also think that the RF system, which has already been implemented in many mods, is a great system; it's also great how the energy conduits from TE3 can convert to different power systems.
But I agree that it's time we have one accepted main power system that can power or be powered by all machines. For some time, we've all had questions about cross-mod power, and there have been mods created for the purpose of easier power conversion.
It's cool to build up each of the different power systems, but you have to know the ins and outs of each system, their peculiarities, which machine could explode given too much power, and so on. It's a lot simpler, I feel, if one power system is used as the "mainstream" power system; it would cause a lot less confusion about what machine outputs what energy type and other of such questions.
But I don't know if it's the best idea to exclude mods such as BC and IC2 from the flagship pack because they use a different power system than the "mainstream" one... these mods have a lot of neat and unique features that other mods can't really compare too: BC's and LP's piping system would be removed as a way of item transport and sorting, and IC2's machine upgrades, armor, and rubber features would be gone. I wish there was some way to keep these features without necessarily keeping the entire energy system...
Of course, I don't know what the best thing to do is; that's why the FTB team is who they are - they're expert mod-breakers, and they know what they're doing. We, the players, can offer our input and opinions, but we don't need to give them such a hard time about decisions made as a team for us to enjoy modded MC. They made the packs in the first place, these aren't fan-made packs; we should respect the team's decision, because they put a lot of time and effort into this and they rock. So thanks to the FTB team, and kudos for adopting a stance that may seem hostile to some people, but looks like a better overall vision for the tech support and the user.

Engineering talking your mod is not considered a tech mod it's a neutral mod. So feed the beast mod packs have their thing you can't compare all mod packs to be a few categories.
So... a mod that adds shaft-driven machines that can drill through bedrock, ore quintuplication (or more) through grinding and washing, defense and offense systems, utility and aesthetic machines and tools, and nuclear fission and fusion reactors (to say nothing of the various mechanics of charge, voltage, tension, shaft power, and everything else I haven't played with yet) isn't a tech mod?
Not that I'm trying to confuse the issue any further, but RC's power system is significantly different from "traditional" stick-coal-in-a-box-and-voila power systems. It adds way more stuff for way more effort; many n00bs will probably not understand it; in short, adding it to a flagship pack would likely cause a lot more issues and tech support to deal with...

[/wallOfText]

PurpleMentat

Jul 29, 2019
I am very happy with this direction. Redstone Flux has always been the power system with the best theme FOR MY TASTES (hope I gave that enough emphasis to ward off flamewar...) and seeing it become the 'default' energy system for many is awesome. I see Redstone as the "unobtanium" of Minecraft, capable of doing ridiculous inexplicable magical things. Because reasons. Having that be the core of an energy system means I can think of it as a quasi-magitech steampunk sort of mad wizard-scientist (wizentist? scientard?) and use it for anything I like. There are aspects of IC2's EU and BC's MJs that always felt like they didn't fit the theme to me, but I have yet to encounter a scenario where I have trouble accepting that Redstone Flux could accomplish what it just did.

Pillzman

Jul 29, 2019
This is everything i wanted after seeing new IC2. Now we just need an RF version of old IC2, or at least RF equivalents of the Jetpack, Drills and other tools, Nano and Quantum suits and all that stuff, and maybe even from addons like Gravitation Suite and all that.

Reactions: hellpox and Vasa
Status
Not open for further replies.