Update on the Future of FTB Modpacks in 1.7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I think standardization is a good thing. Once everyone is "on the same page", power generationally speaking, any missing machines/processes could be modified, added and normalized to use RF if the original mod developer so desires.

I've also been thinking about a couple of things since I started playing Agrarian skies... Would it perhaps be possible to modularize the quest book system to the point where one modpack could utilize multiple plugin quests? In this way one could create a tutorial system or potentially a series of tutorials (based on previously completed 'lessons') that focus on different modpacks as they become available. Of course, it goes without saying that various game "plotlines" could also be supported by plugin quests as well. Agrarian skies has helped me tremendously with my understanding of it's less familiar mods.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Please don't twist my words. The things I was trying to stop are the third-party concerns, I'm sure that the feed beast team made a menu and the others are doing just fine and I rather not in your free with your guises business

What third party concerns? This post is about FTB Official packs for 1.7. the third party modpack forum is over here: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/categories/third-party-modpacks.111/

Please stay on topic. The topic is Official FTB pack changes for 1.7.[DOUBLEPOST=1398475701][/DOUBLEPOST]
Just as a side note mekanism is no longer a UE mod and while it isn't truly RF native it has the ability to display every energy reference in RF MJ EU and joules (mekanism joules not UE joules)

I know its not. Its kinda not really any specific system. Which means it would fall under does it add enough things not added by other mods we decide to use.

DragonLord88

Jul 29, 2019
I think standardization is a good thing. Once everyone is "on the same page", power generationally speaking, any missing machines/processes could be modified, added and normalized to use RF if the original mod developer so desires.

I've also been thinking about a couple of things since I started playing Agrarian skies... Would it perhaps be possible to modularize the quest book system to the point where one modpack could utilize multiple plugin quests? In this way one could create a tutorial system or potentially a series of tutorials (based on previously completed 'lessons') that focus on different modpacks as they become available. Of course, it goes without saying that various game "plotlines" could also be supported by plugin quests as well. Agrarian skies has helped me tremendously with my understanding of it's less familiar mods.

It's kind of hard to compare the Agrarian skies to any of the feed the beast team mod packs. It all on the cities using any of the third-party mod packs is a references kind of not really staying on-topic year. But nice effort.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheCupcakeisaLie

Jul 29, 2019
While I agree that standardize is good, it also has its drawbacks, which are that it is, well, standard. "Wow, you have a steam dyamo tower? Me too!" or "You have a big reactor? Me too!" Everything just becomes more standard, and possibly boring, and you stop seeing posts about how someone powers their base off of a completely sustaining mox reactor that creates oil which is refined and pumped into self regulating combustion engines. This could be seen as good or bad of course.

Its just Jaded's next step to make us all do the same thing to enslave our minds to power her chunkloaders.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
While I agree that standardize is good, it also has its drawbacks, which are that it is, well, standard. "Wow, you have a steam dyamo tower? Me too!" or "You have a big reactor? Me too!" Everything just becomes more standard, and possibly boring, and you stop seeing posts about how someone powers their base off of a completely sustaining mox reactor that creates oil which is refined and pumped into self regulating combustion engines. This could be seen as good or bad of course.

Its just Jaded's next step to make us all do the same thing to enslave our minds to power her chunkloaders.

All the packs will not be the same... which has been mentioned 3 times now.

DragonLord88

Jul 29, 2019

Valid point. Bragging rights are right and see who has the better base is okay. But the greatest concern would have to be is how is all this stuff going to affect on lease and unhinge for the future

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019

Even in vanilla minecraft there are many ways to build a dirt hut. Adding all the mods just adds for greater variety in creations. Not less.

The only thing that takes away from the variety is the person doing the building.

===
Really looking forward to the new packs.

PDDnox

Jul 29, 2019
It'll probably will be fine. :)
One of the Forgecraft streamers mentioned also that IC is big enough to support a pack on it's own.
Personally i'll go for RF.

I do wish there would be another pack with quests. But then not over a void.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
It'll probably will be fine. :)
One of the Forgecraft streamers mentioned also that IC is big enough to support a pack on it's own.
Personally i'll go for RF.

I do wish there would be another pack with quests. But then not over a void.

Oh quests will be appearing in a couple more and different packs. I'm not stopping with 1 pack for quests ... I has plans. :p

And like the first post said EU will probably end up being in a pack based around IC2 and its addons. Its the only energy system other than RF that has enough mods to possibly build a pack around just it. The concern is whether or not enough IC2 addons will update.

DragonLord88

Jul 29, 2019
Also as anyone it probably noticed Redstone Phlox is not the only energy source that's universal wit about mechanical power or also known as Rotary Power

TheCupcakeisaLie

Jul 29, 2019
Roatary Craft is not a universally accepted power system.
So would rotarycraft (just an example) not be in a "standard" pack due to its own power system even though it has direct rf production? I see the IC2 thing because theres no easy way to convert it, but would rotarycraft be non-standard or standard. (Rotarycraft as an example, o/c it is a very unique thing). Also where do you draw the line between standard and non-standard?

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
I would like to once again remind people that it will be incredibly easy to tailor packs to how you wish to have them; remember all the work jaded did for the universal configs for 1.6 packs? (thanks jaded btw :)...) well 1.7 is literally all that ease doubled in terms of making private packs. One thing I can envision for the future is a list of "supported mods" that are recognized as being "safe" for personal adding.
Redstone flux is great, fantastic really, where it falls a tad short for me is the simplicity factor. There are too many methods of generation that really just end up being: "take machine, put item x in it, receive power", the idea of potential energy is a little lost in places. Thermal Expansion did a good job with the dynamos in terms of keeping everything diverse, some other mods using the api didn't as much, but many have which is great.
DragonLord88: not a personal attack at all, but it is a lot easier to make heads and tails of your points if you use proper grammar (it helps avoid people accidentally misinterpreting etc.) :)
For me: the general "play everything" pack will always be my "go-to"; I like taste of everything that mods have to offer.

Reactions: nilness and Flipz

dlord

Jul 29, 2019
Last I had checked Mek could be powered by RF but it didn't output RF, it used those cables to convert.[DOUBLEPOST=1398474654][/DOUBLEPOST]

Huh?

Mekanism does output RF natively with the current version. Universal cables are now used to convert RF to other power systems. All its power generators and energy cubes output RF instead of UE.

From my understanding, it was the author's decision to drop UE in favor of RF.

ianextreme

Jul 29, 2019
Darn it...
I wanted Electro-Magic Tools in Magic World 3, but IC2 is a dependency for that mod.
I like EMT only because the Ethereal Processor in 1.7.2 is so OP

ollyroo

Jul 29, 2019
Oh quests will be appearing in a couple more and different packs. I'm not stopping with 1 pack for quests ... I has plans. :p
this makes me very exited as agrarian skies has been my saviour for fun in modded mine craft

Last edited:

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
Not that I normally care, but I actually am offended by this.
Back to my hole now.

I humbly apologize if I have given credit where credit was not due; I remember talking to jaded about them and her being quite vocal concerning them but I will admit to not being 100% sure where all of the work for them came from. Hopefully it is clear that my goal was not to offend anyone but to simply give praise, if it was misdirected I shall follow up with this:
Thank you Eyamaz for the work that you have done. ;)
In fact, the entire team really does awesome stuffs, everyone pat yourself on the back for me <3

Reactions: nilness and Flipz
Status
Not open for further replies.