Ars magica gateways question

jaycron

Jul 29, 2019
If im using a gateway to travel large distances do both ends have to be chunkloaded? The one i have set up doesnt seem to recognise that the other exists. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
If im using a gateway to travel large distances do both ends have to be chunkloaded? The one i have set up doesnt seem to recognise that the other exists. Thanks to anyone who can help.

a quick question... do you have both gateways linked to eachother? as they do need to be configured to be using the same runes

jaycron

Jul 29, 2019
a quick question... do you have both gateways linked to eachother? as they do need to be configured to be using the same runes
Yep, they are both on the same network.
Although, I play on a server if that makes a difference.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Not totally true; a gateway without a network is still a valid gateway. Thing is, it's a VERY valid gateway. I'd suggest using at most one(or two, I guess) gateways without a keystone, as they can(and WILL!) allow access to them from gateways that are not opened via keystones. Since they aren't locked down via a keystone, they are easy to access. Well, assuming your gateway has enough power to get there.
Yep, they are both on the same network.
Although, I play on a server if that makes a difference.
Don't now how big of a difference it would make, honestly. In SSP you're on a server anyway now, just one with an address of 127.0.0.1 these days.

The big deal is how far away your target gateway is, compared to how much essence your gateway has. A fully charged gateway can take you a decent distance. Like, 1200 km or so. Since the world is nothing but 1 meter blocks(roughly), that's over a million blocks. And aren't chunks 16x16? That's quite a few chunks. Either way, I have no idea how far that would actually be.

So naturally, with a Magitech Staff, check how much power your gateway has(aka the one you want to enter), and hope that it's a big number.

Also, you don't need to have two gateways on the same network. That may be why you aren't going anywhere. It may also be an issue with the keystone in your hand not being set right.

You see, a Gateway needs a keystone to lock it. But while you can use any kind of combo you wish, if you use a keystone to lock it, you need a keystone to unlock it as well. And if it's inside a Gateway rather then your hand, you're gonna have a bad time. I set tons of combos on my keystone. Why? Because I also use keystone locked chests(and with the keystone doors and trapdoors being added, I feel a few more combos couldn't hurt!).

Again, locked down Gateways need to be unlocked to be used without a keystone. So unless you have a Keystone in your hand when you open the gateway(usually by right clicking the gateway itself), you can't go to a locked Gateway. And if you use a keystone code more then once, much like a open gateway, they can bounce you between gateways until you have to little essence in one to make the closest jump.

jaycron

Jul 29, 2019
Not totally true; a gateway without a network is still a valid gateway. Thing is, it's a VERY valid gateway. I'd suggest using at most one(or two, I guess) gateways without a keystone, as they can(and WILL!) allow access to them from gateways that are not opened via keystones. Since they aren't locked down via a keystone, they are easy to access. Well, assuming your gateway has enough power to get there.

Don't now how big of a difference it would make, honestly. In SSP you're on a server anyway now, just one with an address of 127.0.0.1 these days.

The big deal is how far away your target gateway is, compared to how much essence your gateway has. A fully charged gateway can take you a decent distance. Like, 1200 km or so. Since the world is nothing but 1 meter blocks(roughly), that's over a million blocks. And aren't chunks 16x16? That's quite a few chunks. Either way, I have no idea how far that would actually be.

So naturally, with a Magitech Staff, check how much power your gateway has(aka the one you want to enter), and hope that it's a big number.

Also, you don't need to have two gateways on the same network. That may be why you aren't going anywhere. It may also be an issue with the keystone in your hand not being set right.

You see, a Gateway needs a keystone to lock it. But while you can use any kind of combo you wish, if you use a keystone to lock it, you need a keystone to unlock it as well. And if it's inside a Gateway rather then your hand, you're gonna have a bad time. I set tons of combos on my keystone. Why? Because I also use keystone locked chests(and with the keystone doors and trapdoors being added, I feel a few more combos couldn't hurt!).

Again, locked down Gateways need to be unlocked to be used without a keystone. So unless you have a Keystone in your hand when you open the gateway(usually by right clicking the gateway itself), you can't go to a locked Gateway. And if you use a keystone code more then once, much like a open gateway, they can bounce you between gateways until you have to little essence in one to make the closest jump.

Thank you, it was the locking problem. How do i get the gateways unlocked so i don't need the keystone?

Merendel

Jul 29, 2019
Another thing to be aware of is that server lag can play a role in gateways not working. I have a small network setup on my server. Sometimes I'll open the gate to a specific location with the keystone but when I step in I go nowhere. Usualy after 1 or 2 more tries without changing my keystone settings it will finally open the gate to the right location.

Chunk loading the gates does not seem to mater in my experience. I've gone to gates I know were not loaded before I arrived there.

Keystone settings are important for seting the destination but you dont nessicaraly need to be holding the keystone yourself to get there. someone or something else can use the keystone to open the gate for you. I setup a small room with several unlocked gates in it as a hub. anybody open palming any gate will end up in that room. A bank of labled buttons triggers autonomous activators from TE loaded with a proper keystone for various destination gates automaticly opening the gate to a desired location.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you, it was the locking problem. How do i get the gateways unlocked so i don't need the keystone?
You sneak right click on a "keystone receptacle" to open it's GUI, and remove the keystone. I warn you, though, Open gateways(aka ones without a keystone) tend to divert all traffic to themselves if the opening gateway isn't opened with a Keystone.

I suggest using two different patterns for two different gateways.
Also:
Another thing to be aware of is that server lag can play a role in gateways not working. I have a small network setup on my server. Sometimes I'll open the gate to a specific location with the keystone but when I step in I go nowhere. Usualy after 1 or 2 more tries without changing my keystone settings it will finally open the gate to the right location.

Chunk loading the gates does not seem to mater in my experience. I've gone to gates I know were not loaded before I arrived there.

Keystone settings are important for seting the destination but you dont nessicaraly need to be holding the keystone yourself to get there. someone or something else can use the keystone to open the gate for you. I setup a small room with several unlocked gates in it as a hub. anybody open palming any gate will end up in that room. A bank of labled buttons triggers autonomous activators from TE loaded with a proper keystone for various destination gates automaticly opening the gate to a desired location.
This guy seems pretty smart. And he's right. You don't HAVE to be holding they keystone. But it has to be opened with said keystone to get you to a locked destination.

That being said, this is a cool idea. A Nexus style Gateway room...

Yeah, I'm going to suggest this to MaulJunior for his AM2 upgrades.

Reactions: Padfoote