Geostrata baffling me.

MrAgle

Jul 29, 2019
I was quite excited to build with some of the pretty new stones Geostrata introduces... but I'm not finding ANY of them. I know the mod is there, as I'm finding those cave crystals. But none of the stones... do I have to go into the config, or is it another mod overwriting the stone worldgen?

...or is this just me?

On several test worlds, I can reliably find Limestone - from Emashers, Marble - from Chisel, and Quarried Stone - from Railcraft. But none of the fancier Geostrata ores, which is sad because I was hoping to find enough to build with.

Last edited:

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I was quite excited to build with some of the pretty new stones Geostrata introduces... but I'm not finding ANY of them. I know the mod is there, as I'm finding those cave crystals. But none of the stones... do I have to go into the config, or is it another mod overwriting the stone worldgen?

...or is this just me?

On several test worlds, I can reliably find Limestone - from Emashers, Marble - from Chisel, and Quarried Stone - from Railcraft. But none of the fancier Geostrata ores, which is sad because I was hoping to find enough to build with.

the stones of geostrata have been disabled in the configurations, because there are already other mods who add some of these stones and for aesthetic use they're quite... limited compared to a mod like Chisel. but in a recent update of Geostrata, version 12 to be exact, Reika removed the configuration line that disables the stone generation. I noticed this when I updated the mod and created a new world... and to be honest, I don't like it. there were just so many stone generations of Geostrata everywhere.... at one point I had more Geostrata cobble then vanilla cobble

MrAgle

Jul 29, 2019
I see. Well, is there a way to convert the Geostrata cobble to regular cobble, ala Forge dictionary? I saw that you could use the alternate cobbles for vanilla recipes (though I don't think you'd get a colored furnace, the way XACT gives a rainbow of crafting table textures) so that might mean we could transform excess Geostrata cobble into vanilla. Maybe?

So, when Monster updates to version 12 of Reika's mods, will they drop Geostrata entirely? The author doesn't recommend mixing versions of his mods, which makes me wonder if they'll just drop it.

I liked the variety of choices from Underground Biomes, too - but totally eliminating vanilla stone seemed overkill. I had thought Geostrata had a better balance. Ah, well.

Clearly the best possible outcome would be to see Chisel include those stones, and add fancy versions of them. But that's unlikely.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019

you can freely convert the colored cobblestone by crafting them into compressed blocks from Extra Utilities, and then uncraft them back into vanilla cobblestone, but I don't like having to do all that extra work just for some colored cobblestone that I'll probably never use...
I've mentioned in the Monster bug topic that v12 is changed this way, I hope they take notice of this when updating the modpack so they can decide to keep it as it is, heavily modify the spawnrate, or just completely remove it

it'd indeed be nice if Chisel would add these stones, but as you mentioned, it'll probably be unlikely. I do like it though that there are other mods that allows you to color your stone instead of you having to mine the type of colored stone you want

Duo

Jul 29, 2019
you can freely convert the colored cobblestone by crafting them into compressed blocks from Extra Utilities, and then uncraft them back into vanilla cobblestone, but I don't like having to do all that extra work just for some colored cobblestone that I'll probably never use...
I've mentioned in the Monster bug topic that v12 is changed this way, I hope they take notice of this when updating the modpack so they can decide to keep it as it is, heavily modify the spawnrate, or just completely remove it

it'd indeed be nice if Chisel would add these stones, but as you mentioned, it'll probably be unlikely. I do like it though that there are other mods that allows you to color your stone instead of you having to mine the type of colored stone you want

Do you know if the geostrata stone generates in the twilight forest or deep dark? We have a fairly large set main world already, but just went to the deep dark the other day and want to update to Monster 1.0.5 for some of the other fixes.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Do you know if the geostrata stone generates in the twilight forest or deep dark? We have a fairly large set main world already, but just went to the deep dark the other day and want to update to Monster 1.0.5 for some of the other fixes.

I have no idea to be honest... as soon as I noticed how much Geostrata spammed their stone generation I immediatly removed it and started a new world

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I removed the option because there is little point in using GeoStrata if you are only in it for the crystals. Given that I also receive frequent requests to disable those (usually from admins who think that potions are overpowered and thus crystals as well), there would be no mod left. If this was removing one small feature (like a biome from BoP) I could understand. However, taking out either part of GeoStrata is more like requesting an option to remove research from ThaumCraft or automation from AE - half the mod.
Additionally, the GeoStrata rocks are not purely aesthetic. For example, granite is creeper-proof.

Deep dark, in v14+ (along with Mystcraft ages). Twilight Forest, yes.

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
I tried to like GeoStrata. I was fine with the extra inventory management. Some of the extra decorative options available were very interesting. The crystals were really exciting. Having a harder time digging down to y12 with Stone tools, I could accept.

Then I found Sandstone that wasn't Sandstone, it was Cobblestone. This tweaked me too much, and it had to go.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I tried to like GeoStrata. I was fine with the extra inventory management. Some of the extra decorative options available were very interesting. The crystals were really exciting. Having a harder time digging down to y12 with Stone tools, I could accept.

Then I found Sandstone that wasn't Sandstone, it was Cobblestone. This tweaked me too much, and it had to go.
Sandstone is a rock like anything else.

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
Sandstone is a rock like anything else.
I do not disagree in any way! It is your mod to do what you want with it, and I fully understand the reasoning. For my tastes, there is something jarring about having multiple blocks with highly similar name and appearance that are not ore dictionary linked. Purely a matter of my personal preference.

I actually quite like your set of mods. 1.6 is the time of the magic mod for me. I plan on my 1.7 pack being extremely tech focused, and I am hoping to make your mods the stars. Seeing actual physics used for a mod gives me a special thrill.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I do not disagree in any way! It is your mod to do what you want with it, and I fully understand the reasoning. For my tastes, there is something jarring about having multiple blocks with highly similar name and appearance that are not ore dictionary linked. Purely a matter of my personal preference.

I actually quite like your set of mods. 1.6 is the time of the magic mod for me. I plan on my 1.7 pack being extremely tech focused, and I am hoping to make your mods the stars. Seeing actual physics used for a mod gives me a special thrill.
I will register vanilla sandstone as "sandstone" and make my sandstone interchangeable. That said, it is up to other mods to actually use the ore dictionary.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Perhaps it is the blanket disable that is to unpalatable on both sides.

GeoStrata offers 16 stone varieties, many of which overlap other mods. As such, in much the same way I can disable Forestry Copper in favor of Thermal Expansion Copper, but keep Forestrys Apatite, the most palatable solution for builders of large mod packs would be if GeoStrata could have rock variants individually disabled.

So, in a world with other sources of limestone, or basalt, just those rocks could be disabled.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Perhaps it is the blanket disable that is to unpalatable on both sides.

GeoStrata offers 16 stone varieties, many of which overlap other mods. As such, in much the same way I can disable Forestry Copper in favor of Thermal Expansion Copper, but keep Forestrys Apatite, the most palatable solution for builders of large mod packs would be if GeoStrata could have rock variants individually disabled.

So, in a world with other sources of limestone, or basalt, just those rocks could be disabled.
This I can understand and am willing to work with. However, due to the not-just-aesthetic nature of the rocks, I would prefer a "generate GeoStrata rock instead" behavior, with conversion ability in case some mods cannot use the ore dictionary, or if players prefer one texture.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Other than creeper-proofing - what else is the utility of the GeoStrata rocks? I mean, I'd argue for forge compatibility anyway between (say, limestone) variants... but there is also the (albeit small) possibility that the other mods stone variant has an extra ability I value more.

Not that that is the case of course *coff*. :p

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Other than creeper-proofing - what else is the utility of the GeoStrata rocks? I mean, I'd argue for forge compatibility anyway between (say, limestone) variants... but there is also the (albeit small) possibility that the other mods stone variant has an extra ability I value more.

Not that that is the case of course *coff*. :p
How is that not addressed by a conversion? If you want PR basalt, for example, because it has some magical property, just craft one to the other.

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
Deep dark, in v14+ (along with Mystcraft ages). Twilight Forest, yes.
Please tell me that i can disable the spawning of GeoStrata stuff in other mods dimensions. I have no problem with them beeing in the overworld, end or nether heck even in mystcraft ages through pages would be fine. But having them forced on me in the Twilight Forest or the Deep Dark turns me away from the mod. I'd rather enjoy those dimensions in the way theirs authors envisioned them than having x different rocks from another mod staring at me.

Last edited:

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Please tell me that i can disable the spawning of GeoStrata stuff in other mods dimensions. I have no problem with them beeing in the overworld, end or nether heck even in mystcraft ages through pages would be fine. But having them forced on me in the Twilight Forest or the Deep Dark turns me away from the mod. I'd rather enjox those dimension in the way theirs authors envisioned them than having x different rocks from another mod staring at me.
I can do that, yes. It will have to lump all "non TF, non vanilla" dimensions into one, however. This then means that disabling them in the deep dark means mystcraft as well.

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
I can do that, yes. It will have to lump all "non TF, non vanilla" dimensions into one, however. This then means that disabling them in the deep dark means mystcraft as well.
If it only can be done that way so be it i would be ok with that.

portablejim

Jul 29, 2019
One thing that annoys me about Geostrata (and may mean I disable the mod next world) is that stone with a higher mining level can spawn anywhere. It means that even very early on (within the first 10 layers down) you are having to dig around rock until you get a better pick. I would have thought it appropriate (given minecraft mechanics) to have harder stone only spawning at lower levels. Reika, is this an intended effect?