Horizons: TiC + Metallurgy

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

CaptPanda

Nov 20, 2012
Britland
Hey guys, I'm new to the horizons pack, but I can't help but notice that there's some compatibility between the two mods, and as I'm getting started, what is good materials for early game, and what should I aspire to for endgame TiC? I find the metallurgy mod a bit overwhelming, but If I can put it to good use, then i'll be willing to try it.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Platinum and Tartarite are the two Metallurgy metals you should really care about. Plat has a base mining speed of 24 (although it has iron level mining and terrible durability, so slapping a diamond on it wouldn't hurt) and Tartarite has the best durability + 16 mining speed. Adamanine is also good since it gives Reinforced II.

Overall Platinum Head, Paper Crossbar and Thaumium Rod Pick with a diamond and RF battery is probably the best pick you can get. Tartarite makes the best weapons.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Platinum and Tartarite are the two Metallurgy metals you should really care about. Plat has a base mining speed of 24 (although it has iron level mining and terrible durability, so slapping a diamond on it wouldn't hurt) and Tartarite has the best durability + 16 mining speed. Adamanine is also good since it gives Reinforced II.

Overall Platinum Head, Paper Crossbar and Thaumium Rod Pick with a diamond and RF battery is probably the best pick you can get. Tartarite makes the best weapons.
Doesnt thaumium have the same effect as paper?

frederic

Jul 29, 2019
couple tips
sword: tartarite blade
paper guard
thaumium rod

pick: tartarite head
paper binding
thaumium rod

hammer: head : tartarite
platinum plates
thaumium rod

the hammer with full redstone and a mossball can almost insta mine stone also note these are EXTREMELY late game tools since the only source of platinium is shiny ingots and you need 16 of them

jokermatt999

Jul 29, 2019
stuff

these are EXTREMELY late game tools since the only source of platinium is shiny ingots and you need 16 of them

If you're after platinum, I'd advise silk touching redstone and pulverizing it. It can yield cinnabar, which gives a 100% chance for the pulverizer byproduct with ores in the induction smelter. Obviously ferrous is the main candidate for this anyway, but it makes that setup worth it. It's still mid-to-late game, since you need silk touch (easy with TiC if you get lucky with finding an emerald), enough redstone ores to yield 16 cinnabar, and 16 ferrous. I'm not familiar with how tough it is to make tartarite in metallurgy though, since I haven't gotten that deep into it.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys, I'm new to the horizons pack, but I can't help but notice that there's some compatibility between the two mods, and as I'm getting started, what is good materials for early game, and what should I aspire to for endgame TiC? I find the metallurgy mod a bit overwhelming, but If I can put it to good use, then i'll be willing to try it.

Damascus steel is fairly easy to make and very strong for what it is. Most people don't use it because they don't know about the 2-step alloys.

CaptPanda

Nov 20, 2012
Britland

Aha, this is excellent. this'll help in general.

Damascus steel is fairly easy to make and very strong for what it is. Most people don't use it because they don't know about the 2-step alloys.

Actually, that would be pretty nice to know about for those who lack the ability to google, is there a link to a guide?

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Metallurgy does have platinum ore.

Horizons may have it disabled, but it IS part of the mod and has a ridiculous enchant-ability. I've gotten Protection 3, Thorns, feather falling from a sub 30 level enchant on boots before.

CaptPanda

Nov 20, 2012
Britland
Ok, cool. Now the thing is with adamantine and atlarus is that they're pretty hard to find. What biomes/areas should I keep an eye out for, and what level?

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, cool. Now the thing is with adamantine and atlarus is that they're pretty hard to find. What biomes/areas should I keep an eye out for, and what level?
both of those are in the fantasy set, your best bet is to just look at the config files.

Seraph089

Jul 29, 2019
Check the config, but if it's using Metallurgy defaults you can find any ore at any level, it's completely random. The only things guaranteed in default is that only the Nether set spawns in the Nether, and only the End set spawns in the End

CaptPanda

Nov 20, 2012
Britland
ah, well, that's going to make servers more interesting.

So far, due to a lack of emeralds/enchantability, I have no way of getting redstone ore. However I've seen that Electrum is a very similar material. since certain minerals are unpractical to obtain, what would be suitable replacements?

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, that would be pretty nice to know about for those who lack the ability to google, is there a link to a guide?

Not really. I know a lot about it because we tuned Resonant Rise with ExtraTiC in mind. AFAIK we're one of the first to ship that combo after the tool-metal updates.[DOUBLEPOST=1387223235][/DOUBLEPOST]
Isn't Damascus Steel inferior to standard steel in terms of durability and strength?

Yes, but steel availability varies by modpack. Damascus steel is really, really easy to make in a smeltery and substantially better than bronze.