Mekanism: Feature Request Thread

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Only downside to the logistical sorter is you can't connect a pipe/tube to it directly at a right angle, it has to be straight out. Can it be made to connect at a right angle?

Aidan

Jul 29, 2019
Only downside to the logistical sorter is you can't connect a pipe/tube to it directly at a right angle, it has to be straight out. Can it be made to connect at a right angle?
Could you provide a screenshot?

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Oooh! Yes! I'll add something like that for sure - I'm also in the process of implementing a replacement for Barrels. What's a good name?

depends... is it going to be a normal 1x1 block or will it have a specific shape/multi-block structure?

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Could you provide a screenshot?

Yup, basically you have to attach a pipe before you can go up or down (like in the one furthest away) you can't just go straight up or down from the logistical sorter. This doesn't make for good small tight space saving automation having to attach that extra pipe/tube.

Aidan

Jul 29, 2019
Yup, basically you have to attach a pipe before you can go up or down (like in the one furthest away) you can't just go straight up or down from the logistical sorter. This doesn't make for good small tight space saving automation having to attach that extra pipe/tube.

Hmm. Maybe I'll add that, yeah.

Bins are coming along awesomely guys :D

Reactions: PierceSG

Steel

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm. Maybe I'll add that, yeah.

Bins are coming along awesomely guys :D

That sounds fantastic, and I can wait to see them. Will they be tiered storage? If so, I'd like to put in a feature request to have an upgrade item similar to the upgrades from Iron Chests, so that you can upgrade a bin without having to dismantle it. Of course, ignore this comment if that was already part of the plan. :)

Aidan

Jul 29, 2019
That sounds fantastic, and I can wait to see them. Will they be tiered storage? If so, I'd like to put in a feature request to have an upgrade item similar to the upgrades from Iron Chests, so that you can upgrade a bin without having to dismantle it. Of course, ignore this comment if that was already part of the plan. :)
Oooh! What do you think? Basic, Advanced, Elite and Ultimate bins? :)

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Oooh! What do you think? Basic, Advanced, Elite and Ultimate bins? :)
Eh, those titles don't really fit something like a bin. What about Basic, Compressed, Hypercompressed and Dimensional Bins?

Another thing that might be nice would be an Ender Bin, which would have a Tesseract/EnderChest/WirelessRedstone/etc. system of connecting with other Ender Bins. Basically an Ender Chest, but a bin instead (probably limited to Basic Bin storage levels for balance reasons).

Reactions: Steel

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
will bins be able to keep their inventory when broken, or will there be an upgrade for bins to keep their inventory? I always hate it with full barrels when I have to move them and constantly need to rund around to do so. you can ofcourse use item transferring blocks, but it'd be easier if there'd be an upgrade for the bins

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
will bins be able to keep their inventory when broken, or will there be an upgrade for bins to keep their inventory? I always hate it with full barrels when I have to move them and constantly need to rund around to do so. you can ofcourse use item transferring blocks, but it'd be easier if there'd be an upgrade for the bins
Aiden can confirm but since most stuff in Mek keeps it's inventory by default I would imagine Bins would as well.

Aidan

Jul 29, 2019
3hMHt7H.png

RH68KxX.png

A rough start, you can see where I'm going with inventory management. Basically, the Bin can be placed in an inventory with a single other stack, and the crafting grid will then spit out the bin with the stack inside. You can then put the bin back in the crafting grid, and upon pulling out the stack displayed in the output slot, the bin will lose those items. This was very stressful to get to work, and will not be 100% functional until my PR goes through on MCForge. In the meantime...working on block interactions :)

TheAbstractHippo

Jul 29, 2019
Perhaps... A form of automated mining? There are only four that I can think of ATM: BC Quarry, Thaumcraft Arcane Bore, RC Tunnel Bore, and MFFS quarry-thing-that-is-super-complicated-and-makes-my-head-hurt. I need a super simple, easily automated mining machine.

EDIT: maybe not super simple, but relatively intuitive. Still needs to be easily automated.

Aidan

Jul 29, 2019
Perhaps... A form of automated mining? There are only four that I can think of ATM: BC Quarry, Thaumcraft Arcane Bore, RC Tunnel Bore, and MFFS quarry-thing-that-is-super-complicated-and-makes-my-head-hurt. I need a super simple, easily automated mining machine.

EDIT: maybe not super simple, but relatively intuitive. Still needs to be easily automated.
Mining is something I'd love to get to. If someone could give me a detailed idea I could definitely put it into action.

Reactions: RedBoss

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019

There is also the Husher from Engineer's Toolbox, Steve's Carts, the Laser Drill from Minefactory Reloaded.. and one more I'm forgetting.

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
Mining is something I'd love to get to. If someone could give me a detailed idea I could definitely put it into action.
I would love one of two new things in regards to mining:

• Another method of mining similar to the MFR Laser Drill. Something that doesn't leave massive HOLES in the landscape that needs to be filled in. The problem with the MFR Laser Drill however, is the absurd amounts of power it requires just to pull out ONE block, plus it is random and does not always work great with mod ores.
  • "Liquid Dirt" - Yes this one sounds stupid but just follow me here. I think it wouldbe nice to have a liquid I could just PUMP into a quarry hole, filling it up from bottom to top. Once the liquid stops pumping and 'sits' for a few minutes it starts to harden up into dirt blocks. So you could basically make massive tanks of this stuff and pump it into your quarry holes to fill them back up, turning them back into grassy landscape that you could plant farms and trees on.
I really that either one of these solutions would be an incredibly welcome feature on servers that do not want a landscape filled with massive empty squares.

TheAbstractHippo

Jul 29, 2019
:O I'VE TOTALLY GOT ONE! Okay, there's this laser mounted on a... base-thing ( :p ), and it shoots lasers around itself in a circular fashion, and outputs to a chest directly adjacent to it (or a Transporter? ;) ). When it's done, you're left with the quarry with a little island in the middle. Perhaps upgradable with various items to increase radius of quarry? Just an idea. Maybe not very good, but it's unique.

MrJeff

Jul 29, 2019
I liked the old IC2 method of drilling a central shaft and extracting ores. The downside was that people never filled in the hole afterword. You ended up with a minefield of straight-to-bedrock falls.

If I were to design an Ore Extractor:
  • Minimal Landscape Damage.
  • Encourage (or force) refilling of mineshaft.
  • Ability to replace extracted ore with a block (Prevent tons of underground holes.)
  • Configurable so other mod's ores can be added to the extractable list.
  • Advanced Ability: Select Ores/non-vanilla stone types to explicitly take, or leave. (For Example: All ores, Limestone, Ores + Marble, etc) That way, you could set one (or several) under your base and only extract the ores that you need, when you need it.
  • Advanced Ability: Selectable length, width and depth. Combine with the above to hollow out a mountain, leaving only the dirt behind.