Thermal Expansion 3.0!!! No More Beta! Thanks KL!

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
all hail the itemducts!! it's nice to see the long awaited itemducts, but I was wondering if the blocks showing in the ducts wouldn't cause lag? as thermal expansion is build to be as efficient to run as possible... would also be kind of nice if there were things like TE "gates" that you could plop down on the ducts for more configurable options like suction speed and such, but it's still an early preview so I'm not going to complain about that at all

Reactions: SpitefulFox

Netherus

Jul 29, 2019
This is awsome! Keep up the good work. Nice to see those ducts are coming along now i wont be worrying about bcs spills when i update as soon as TE3 releases xD
I guess this will again lead to some very interesting designs in combination with bc pipes instead of using AE and CC everywhere :)

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
My single wish has been granted: I get to see the items in the ducts.

I was afraid that it would be sacked for the sake of potential performance savings... but that would have disqualified them entirely in my builds. I want to see my items, framerate be damned :D

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019

I was afraid that it would be sacked for the sake of potential performance savings... but that would have disqualified them entirely in my builds. I want to see my items, framerate be damned :D
Every word you said is truth. Items visible in pipes whooshing about your base... Good times.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Nice.

Wonder what happens with Overflow? Does it go the BC route of throwing out the items, or the RP2 route of sending back to sender? Or, some new TE method?
I also wonder what the crafting recipe is? Looks like it could be 2xTin with Hardened glass (based on the current design of Liquiducts).

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
If it works anything like the conduits it could work on a point-to-point basis. Inventory B has space for an item, so inventory A send out items until inventory B is full. Of course, travel time could cause more than needed to be sent unless it counts the objects still in the item ducts as already being inside their target inventories. hopefully though it's something where overflow isn't an issue and it doesn't add much or any lag.

Edit: Another possible way this could work is if inventory B tells A "hey, I have space for X items right now, send them to me" and then A sends out only that amount of items and B doesn't make a request for more until its initial order was fulfilled. This would have the effect of there being some time gaps on when he items are sent though, and I'm not sure how it would work with the round-robin pipes unless that setting acts like an interim inventory A for target inventories, say, B and C. Basically, B and C would see A has items and both request the same amount. The round-robin pipe will then say "shut up, I'm only giving each of you this amount." Of course, this is all conjecture at this point.

Reactions: Gwen Gordon

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds/looks a lot like logistics pipes (LP) with the vacuum part. However, the pipes certainly look better.

IMHO, BC pipes and LP pipes are too big/bulky and look like frame skeletons rather than, well..."pipes". I often expect small items like honey drops to fall out of the BC and LP pipes. Likewise, the Ender IO pipes are too small and look like straws. Don't get me wrong, I love all those mods and enjoy using them.

However, The TE conduits. liquiducts. and now itemducts are goldilocks pipes, i.e. just the right size. They also look more pipe-like, if that makes sense.

Reactions: AlanEsh

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019

We also have opaque versions of both Itemducts and Fluiducts - they connect normally to the windowed versions, except do not send packets and do not need to render anything. As with the rest of TE, server owners can disable whatever they wish. So if lag is a concern, it can be handled on the server level. Or, you can build a mostly opaque network and have windows in it every so often.

Is it planned to have some sort of sorting ? Like a gate to filler what's alloyed ect ?
And facade/multipart support ?

There will be sorting. ATM, facades and multipart are not supported. We'd like to support FMP, but it's still a bit buggy. Facades are something we'll look into, but we'll likely roll our own version there if we go that route.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
do those things connect to BC pipes directly? will there be a duct like BC gold pipes?

They do not connect to pipes, as we can't think of a use case for it. There is a glowstone-filled version which items travel through a bit faster.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I suppose the main point about connecting to BC pipes is to have gate control. Doesn't personally concern me, I don't use gates (if I can help it).

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
We also have opaque versions of both Itemducts and Fluiducts - they connect normally to the windowed versions, except do not send packets and do not need to render anything. As with the rest of TE, server owners can disable whatever they wish. So if lag is a concern, it can be handled on the server level. Or, you can build a mostly opaque network and have windows in it every so often.

That's an interesting concept. You can stuff the opaque ones in the walls where you never seen them anyway (or would that mean that it doesn't matter?), while leaving the open ones in the forefront.

Rendering I assume would be an entirely clientside thing, but roughly how big of an impact does the need to send packets make serverside? Is that just bandwidth, or also affecting the tickrate? I've been trying to grok some modding and Minecraft internals terminology recently...

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
I think I just wet myself (sorry I needed to share that)....

Just need a diamond pipe kinda thing and we're sorted (pardon the pun).

Also there's 1 thing that always is missed when thinking about BC pipe connectivity and that's with bees, the apiarists pipe is a must for bee stuff, but I guess we can just send eveything to a chest and use these to pick it up.