Iron tanks.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

MrKirk

Jul 29, 2019
Hello fellow FTB'ers.

So I have this big n00b question about iron tanks... Is there a way to pump the liquids out of the tanks using pipes or?

RustyC

Jul 29, 2019
You have to have a tank valve in the bottom two levels of the tank (maybe it has to be in the middle of the side, I remember hearing that). In that case, just a waterproof wooden pipe and some buildcraft power will do the trick.

Reactions: MrKirk

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
You have to have a tank valve in the bottom two levels of the tank (maybe it has to be in the middle of the side, I remember hearing that). In that case, just a waterproof wooden pipe and some buildcraft power will do the trick.
Basically, you can't place valves on corners or edges of the tank. So if a tank has a 3x3 base and is 5 blocks tall, then you have a 1x3 area in the center of each side where you can place a valve, in addition to the center block on the top or bottom of the tank. For pumping liquids out, place a valve on the lowest block of that 1x3 (or whatever size it is) area, then connect it just like a BC tank.

MrKirk

Jul 29, 2019
Basically, you can't place valves on corners or edges of the tank. So if a tank has a 3x3 base and is 5 blocks tall, then you have a 1x3 area in the center of each side where you can place a valve, in addition to the center block on the top or bottom of the tank. For pumping liquids out, place a valve on the lowest block of that 1x3 (or whatever size it is) area, then connect it just like a BC tank.

Yeah, I tested/noticed before you wrote this.

Thanks anyway :)

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
I've just been playing with iron tanks in SSP, bit of titbits for you which you may know/not know.

- when building a tank only the edges need to be iron tank walls, the rest (inc top and bottom) can be tank glass.
- tank sizes are 3x3 5x5 7x7 but can be 8 high
- the storage information (if your tank contains liquid) is stored in the bottom centre block
- going on the storage information if you wanted to expand say a 3x3 to a 5x5 do so by building 1 out all the way around so the centre bottom block is still the centre bottom block, this will retain any liquid that was inside
- you can place tanks on top of each other by putting a connecting valve in the middle of each tank so they are facing, when you do this a valve acts for both tanks
- valve's can be placed anywhere except edge blocks but only pump liquid in or out on rows 2 & 3 from the bottom
- if your tank contains liquid you can break a block (so long as it's not the storage block) and when made a tank again the liquid is retained
- you can place Railcraft liquid loaders and unloaders next to valve's without the need for pipes and they will load/unload the liquid.
- when looking at the volume of the tank, 1 bucket is 1,000 of the tank liquid
- a max size tank holds 6,272,000 liquid or 6272 buckets worth of liquid

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
Awesome. I was wondering if I could expand my full creosote tank without losing all my creosote - now I know.

FlukeSDS

Jul 29, 2019
I believe you can place them anywhere but I don't think you'd be able to pump out all of the liquid if they're not placed in the bottom two rows.

CFalzone

Jul 29, 2019
Has anyone else noticed that if you have your input going into the bottom center valve that each time you quit and come back to minecraft that it resets the tanks level? This at least seems to be happening with my lava tank. moving the input pipe to the top of the tank solved the issue for me.

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
- valve's can be placed anywhere except edge blocks but only pump liquid in or out on rows 2 & 3 from the bottom

Actually, you can pump liquid in no matter where the valve is (as long as it's not on a corner or edge). I have my 3x3x5 creosote tank directly below my coke oven, with a pipe connecting to a valve in the top side of the tank, and it works just fine.

I think pumping liquids out works on any row as well, but you can't pump out any liquid if it's below that row so you should place it in the second row up from the bottom (since the bottom row is the edge of the tank and holds no liquid). You can also pump out of the bottom-facing side of the tank, but I wouldn't recommend it. The bottom center block of the tank holds all the data about how much liquid is in the tank, and when that block is a valve it seems to cause issues like emptying the tank.