Thaumcraft research order

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dreossk

Jul 29, 2019
Hello,

Does anyone know a place where I can see the research order in Thaumcraft, I'm trying to get specific things and it keeps giving me something else because of the random system that prevents someone to plan something. I think the solution would be to get a list of research in order they must be done.

Thanks.

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
http://feed-the-beast.wikia.com/wiki/Research_by_Aspect
The FTB Wiki has a list of all the research and the aspects for it. There is no real order. You just get a research based on which ones you are allowed to do, which is one of the blinking ones in your thaumcraft book or an applicable hidden research. Your best bet is to pick an aspect that only it has or very few have and use that aspect for the initial research.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
http://feed-the-beast.wikia.com/wiki/Research_by_Aspect
The FTB Wiki has a list of all the research and the aspects for it. There is no real order. You just get a research based on which ones you are allowed to do, which is one of the blinking ones in your thaumcraft book or an applicable hidden research. Your best bet is to pick an aspect that only it has or very few have and use that aspect for the initial research.

It does seem like certain recipes are prioritized over others. Anyone who has gotten past golemancy in the most recent version proooobably knows what I'm talking about and had an equally irritating experience. "FINE. I GUESS I DON'T WANT MORE GOLEMS, THAUMCRAFT. I GUESS I DO WANT THAT OTHER THING WITH ALL THE ASPECTS. ARE YOU HAPPY NOW?"

Dreossk

Jul 29, 2019
Yes I've been using that page but as I said I still only get research that I don't want and never the one that I want. Researching the blinking ones would work but as you said, many are hidden so that is not an option. Do you have an image of the complete research tree as of 3.0.2?

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
I just turn on the cheat-sheet in the config and go into a creative test world and grab it from the creative menu. It shows the entire tree and even lets you create them if you want.

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
Or you could research everything. That's the thing with research, you can never be quite sure what results you're going to get. Honestly, it's not that much of an investment to finish every research, and every research has useful things in it.

Captain Neckbeard

Jul 29, 2019
It does seem like certain recipes are prioritized over others. Anyone who has gotten past golemancy in the most recent version proooobably knows what I'm talking about and had an equally irritating experience. "FINE. I GUESS I DON'T WANT MORE GOLEMS, THAUMCRAFT. I GUESS I DO WANT THAT OTHER THING WITH ALL THE ASPECTS. ARE YOU HAPPY NOW?"
Probably a knee-jerk reaction to how it was in the previous versions. When I was still kind of stumbling around blind, I filled out the entire Golemancy tree trying to get some damned Warded blocks, and found out I was pretty much on the right track after all. Golemancy just kept jumping in the way until it was done.
Or maybe now the probability's just based on how many aspects could be used for any given unresearched discovery, and that particular one does have a ton of aspects. I don't know, I'm not a code-spelunker.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
One thing that helps... Finish any research you get. Don't put it aside just bloody finish it. Thuam research does not care if you have 20 research sheets for traveler boots you will still keep getting it until you have unlocked it. As someone that has powered through this system a few times it is less random then you think. My big suggestion is stock up on materials, fined ones you can farm, and just power through. If you want something find the least common aspect it uses and keep using that until you get it or thaum runs out of things to give you. But finish ever research that pops up never put them aside it will only show up again.

If you have a good supply of mats and some small farm systems setup you should be able to complete all the research in a couple of hours of work. If you need help finding out what you can use check out http://feed-the-beast.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Aspects form the same wiki.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
As I recall, there is a weighting based on what aspects the remaining research needs, and what's in the table, so, if you put in lots of things into the table, to basically ensure that all the aspects of the desired research are covered, you are more likely to get it. Not 100%, mind, but if you are trying to target it, you've got a better shot.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
The adventure in TC is the mystery of research. I think the intention was to make you discover things as you go. Completion of the entire tree once is an experience worth going through, imo. As arduous and painful as it might be, I think it'd be worth you time. There is nothing in TC that will prevent you from doing other things. Golem are easily replaced and the rest is TC specific mostly. It won't hinder your progress with any other mods if you aren't up to speed with TC.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Completion of the entire tree once is an experience worth going through, imo. As arduous and painful as it might be, I think it'd be worth you time.

This I can agree with the first few times it was kind of fun. But my tenth time I just started using the wiki to speed things up.

The new system coming looks promising.

Reactions: RedBoss

Seraph089

Jul 29, 2019
Completion of the entire tree once is an experience worth going through, imo.
I agree with this, but with extra emphasis on once. I'm glad I went through it the first time, but after that I happily cheat sheet on every new world I make instead of grinding it out (same thing with Mystcraft pages).

If research gets reworked I'll definitely go through it again properly, the 3.1 preview stuff looks interesting

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
If they implement certain random bonuses, like attunement to certain aspects, allowing you to use less materials and all that kind of stuff...

I have never played with TC, but I am going to make the analogy of TC research to the crafting systems of many MMOs and what makes some more enjoyable than others.