StarMade

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, so this is a new game called StarMade. It bears many qualities to Minecraft that you'll immediately see, however it also has some very important differences.
First, the similarities:
  • Made of blocks
  • Written in Java
  • Similar release schedule
Now, the differences:
  • StarMade allows flying into space and building of spaceships
  • Spaceships can move independently of block limitations
  • It's currently free
As much hate as I might get for this, here's episode one of the Yogscast's let's play on it:
It also has a very comprehensive tutorial on game launch, which I recommend you do.
StarMade's currently in alpha, and it's also currently free. You also have the option of buying it, which gives you no advantage currently (other than recognition on the forums for it). I'm told you'll get benefits later, almost definitely including future updates when StarMade becomes an exclusively paid game. Don't quote me on that though.
The game looks like it's going to have the same creative aspects of Minecraft, but a bit more violent from the PvP aspect of fighting other players with your ships.
If it keeps up popularity, which the Yogscast will help with immensely if they continue their let's play, it will likely become an extremely popular game, and it's really fun, so why not? :p
I should also add, it's very nice with performance. It's not using my dedicated graphics card, only integrated graphics and I'm still getting over 100 FPS.

Tldr: Game like Minecraft, except you can build spaceships and fly them around in space. Still in alpha.

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
I have played this game with Jess887cp and PeggleFrank, and it is AWESOME FUN.

I love the whole extremely modular feel of the game, how you can add a new weapon with two or more blocks only, and if you're good make it look nice. I have yet to get on a planet, but peggle says they're fun...

Silent_007

Jul 29, 2019
I've been toying with this myself. So far - TONS of fun!
My main problem is getting enough of the same color hardened hull bits to make a ship as large as I want to. I think that means I need to get some factories going so I can produce my own ship components, but I haven't looked into that yet.

Until then, I'll just keep flying from shop to shop. I'm not worried about cost, since I killed a few pirates who happened to be hauling ~600 L5 ores. :D
(Not sure how unusual that is/isn't, but it sure made my day regardless!!)

imabanana1337

Jul 29, 2019
i'm having problems launching this game, unfortunate because it looks REALLY fun. the problem when i launch it is; at about 99% loading i get an error loading the block hole shader, has anyone else had this problem, and if you have, how have you fixed it?

Chrissy

Jul 29, 2019
i like it, My shoddy laptop cant handle it well but i like it and it has potential ^_^

Also i seem to be one of the only people who still likes the yogscast

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
I had no idea this thread ever got replies, the forum didn't give me a notification for it until the latest one -_-
Anyway.

i'm having problems launching this game, unfortunate because it looks REALLY fun. the problem when i launch it is; at about 99% loading i get an error loading the block hole shader, has anyone else had this problem, and if you have, how have you fixed it?
Just in case you still care about the game, did you head over to star-made.org and ask for help there? I'm not nearly as good with Starmade support as I am with Minecraft :p