Status
Not open for further replies.

slowpoke

Administrator
Team Member
FTB Founder
Jul 29, 2019
The Future of FTB Modpacks.

An incident has just come to our attention with regards to a conflict between 2 modders that ultimately ended in code being added to a mod that would have caused peoples games to crash. I don't really want to go into details about this specific incident as it really isnt our place. However it has caused us to take a look at various aspects of how we could and should deal with situations like this in the future.

Before we get into the details of how we will handle this and future similar situations, there is something I would like to make clear. Whilst this particular issue is symptomatic, it only serves to highlight various problems we face and take a long look at measures that we need to take to help limit the fallout from anything like this that may happen.

So I think it is important that the main point we cover here is this idea of mods that contain code designed to crash games. This one is fairly simple, as far as I am concerned this is as close as a person can get to distributing malware with their mod. Any mod that is found to contain code like this will be removed from a pack. If possible in order to preserve the integrity of existing worlds we will try to roll back to an earlier version of a mod. In the event of a mod leaving code like this in, we will no longer include that mod in any future mod packs.

Also this seems to be a good opportunity to highlight a longstanding but rarely highlighted policy that has pretty much always been in place. If any mod author approaches me and makes it clear that they do not wish their mod to be distributed alongside another mod then quite simply we wont do it. This does not automatically mean that we we will remove the 'other' mod. Just we will not distribute them together.

The construction of modpacks is not a simple one. Especially if you want to make good mod packs. They need to have a focus and a vision and you need to try and pick mods that ultimately play nice together. In the case of FTB ultimate and more recently the 152 test packs, the intention was to be something for everyone. However moving forwards we will probably have to redesign the 152wgt and 152ngt packs. More details on these redesigns will be out shortly.

tokamaktech

Jul 29, 2019
That's pretty messed up to add deliberate sabotage code, and entirely unethical to boot - like your stance though, we all really appreciate the effort you guys put in to keep this stuff ticking along

Reactions: eragonawesome

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
This news is very reassuring. Thank you for the official standpoint.

Neonbeta

Jul 29, 2019
If there was to be a sort of gregtech 'alternative'. Without the hubbub but with most (if not all) of the features, in the future would there be any consideration to add it?

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
Tnx for the statement boss now back to work, now we know so can move on armed with this knowledge.

jcornell37

Jul 29, 2019
if actions are taken where the mod will no longer be in FTB will past packs that are fine be available in the long term future because i do not have a computer that can currently run FTB but i plan on purchasing one soon. so do i need to download the packs now or will i do fine to wait

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
if actions are taken where the mod will no longer be in FTB will past packs that are fine be available in the long term future because i do not have a computer that can currently run FTB but i plan on purchasing one soon. so do i need to download the packs now or will i do fine to wait

This really isn't the place to be asking that. Try making a support thread.

Interesting, will we finally see a IC2less pack? *crosses fingers*
You can do that now with minimal effort.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
You know, I really like the endgame that Gregtech adds, but his shenanigans have gone too far this time. He gets away with quite a lot, but intentionally crashing users' FTB is unreasonable. His mod is actually quite good, but his attitude towards other modders and the users is simply intolerable. Even as someone who likes Gregtech, I'd be happy to see it removed from FTB for this behavior.

(Yes, it is bad enough that I finally registered just to voice my opinion on this.)

http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/all-greg-tech-discussions-go-here.26576/
Talk about it there, not here.

afusos

Jul 29, 2019
So two questions:

How are you gonna know if a mod contains crashing code, many mods are not opensource or do not match the provided source and is decompiling to check for such code on a supported suspicion even legal?

Anyway i would like to 'nominate' Railcraft to be checked for game crashing code, as it was know to be crashing when checksum error on itself or a selected group of other mods was deteced. Fair game for everyone, crashcode is crashcode, right?

Reactions: Moleculor

Harros

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you slowpoke for giving a response to the issue and potential issues regarding things of this nature.

Moleculor

Jul 29, 2019
Does this policy in any way apply to mods who's code prevents the mod from loading if anything is present the mod author does not like?

Status
Not open for further replies.