QuarryPlus

Doelloos Verdwaald

Jul 29, 2019
I came across this mod on the Minecraft forums: QuarryPlus
It's a second tier for the quarry and can mine with silktouch, fortune, builds awesome scaffolding and removes lava and liquids in it's path.

The mod developer is Japanese who just started posting on the English forums so communication is a bit tricky but he has been fixing bugs within the hour.

Cost wise it seems balanced enough by using actual enchants from a diamond pick and in the later versions there are config options for power usage.

Afaik Buildcraft is opensource and he isn't modifying the actual quarry so IP wise it seems ok. Apart from a minor ID conflict it's been running fine alongside my 152 0.8 wgt instal.

Give it a try!

Reactions: tindin

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
it's nice to see an advanced quarry, but it's sad that Buildcraft didn't add it's own.
I would really want a quarry that you can plop down, and tell from a GUI how big the quarry needs to be, and to be able to only let the quarry mine ores and not any stone, dirt, gravel etcetcetc

SandGrainOne

Jul 29, 2019
it's nice to see an advanced quarry, but it's sad that Buildcraft didn't add it's own.
I would really want a quarry that you can plop down, and tell from a GUI how big the quarry needs to be, and to be able to only let the quarry mine ores and not any stone, dirt, gravel etcetcetc

If BuildCraft ever is to change the Quarry it's hopefully going to make things harder and not easier to use. Multiblock structures with frames, pulleys, carts, drill, more flexibility, more fun.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
His screen shots show a Stirling engine powering the quarry -_-

I can see why people would be interested, but getting fortune or silk touch on ores is the advantage of mining by hand. Quarrying is for acquiring mass quantities of materials. Mixing the two takes the fun and challenge away. IMO.

Reactions: PeggleFrank

Jakeb

Jul 29, 2019
I've been playing with it a bit lately and I have to say that, for the most part, I like it. I mostly like that its faster, removes lava and other liquids (yay nether quarry!!), and that you can make them REALLY, REALLY big. I think the max is 256x256, which is the size of 16 regular (max size) quarries if i'm not mistaken.
There are a few things that I don't really like about it though:
The base power draw is to low for my tastes, so I'll probably double or quadruple it later.
Even on the hard recipe set, I still think stuff is to cheap.
It kinda seems cheap to have the advantages of quarrying (speed, automation) and the advantages of hand mining (fortune, silk touch) in one block.

Doelloos Verdwaald

Jul 29, 2019
Aye, I agree that it needs tweaking. Feeding an eff iV quarry 100 Mj/t tore up half a biome in under an hour. Actually had to build some DSU's in a slight panic since all my drives filled up. :eek:

Looking at the config I wonder how the efficiency and speed scaling on the original quarry work vs power supplied. I think it should have gone a lot slower with the power I was feeding it.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
it`s really weird to have efficiency among supported enchants. for what it allows i`d expect decent increase in power consumption compared to vanilla quarry.
i wouldnt say its OP but it seems too good :)

Reactions: RedBoss

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
imagine a multiblock structure for the quarry :eek:
also, the pickaxe should take damage when used by the quarry, to make it more fair

Malexion

Jul 29, 2019
The liquid removal id say is the biggest advantage, the water flows lag SMP servers and the lava interferes with mining.

Its been needed for a long time.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I'd like to see it suck water and lava into an internal reservoir that can be piped out, and if it draws in one kind of liquid while it still has the other, then you get smooth stone or obsidian instead of water or lava.

Doelloos Verdwaald

Jul 29, 2019
I'd like to see it suck water and lava into an internal reservoir that can be piped out, and if it draws in one kind of liquid while it still has the other, then you get smooth stone or obsidian instead of water or lava.
Someone actually just suggested that:) So he's making a pump module to go alongside the quarry. Soon it will be a multi block installation after all ;)

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
Worth using simply because of the liquid removal and advanced frame thing. Now if only BC frames weren't SO. LAGGY. Fortune/Silk Touch are nice additions as well, and getting them into the quarry feels balanced enough in that you need to have a pickaxe with those enchants (at the exact level as well, if I recall correctly). Also, Yusunoha, the enchantments are stripped from the pickaxe when you transfer them to the quarry.
The only thing that felt a bit unbalanced was how the efficiency enchantment worked, when I tested a somewhat old version for a bit. At least 100 MJ/t when unenchanted seemed fair, but then the cost to get it running at max speed fell down to around 20 or 10 MJ/t with eff. IV, and 1 MJ/t with eff. V? What.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Worth using simply because of the liquid removal and advanced frame thing. Now if only BC frames weren't SO. LAGGY. Fortune/Silk Touch are nice additions as well, and getting them into the quarry feels balanced enough in that you need to have a pickaxe with those enchants (at the exact level as well, if I recall correctly). Also, Yusunoha, the enchantments are stripped from the pickaxe when you transfer them to the quarry.
The only thing that felt a bit unbalanced was how the efficiency enchantment worked, when I tested a somewhat old version for a bit. At least 100 MJ/t when unenchanted seemed fair, but then the cost to get it running at max speed fell down to around 20 or 10 MJ/t with eff. IV, and 1 MJ/t with eff. V? What.

hmm, I haven't played with the mod so I wasn't sure about how it all works.
I still do want to see a multiblock quarry structure though, but from what I'm thinking it'll probably end up being a completely new type of machine XD

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I don't see what the advantage of it being multiblock is. Multiblocks make sense for variable-sized and expandable machines like tanks, boilers, AE autocrafters, and Multifarms (which should farm square areas, dammit!), but a portable machine like a quarry? Being multiblock would just be a pain as far as I can see. What would the extra blocks add? So far I've only seen "liquid handling", so that's a 2-block structure. Better, I'd say, just to have a Router-like expansion item system where you just pop upgrades into the quarry.

Reactions: Loufmier

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I don't see what the advantage of it being multiblock is. Multiblocks make sense for variable-sized and expandable machines like tanks, boilers, AE autocrafters, and Multifarms (which should farm square areas, dammit!), but a portable machine like a quarry? Being multiblock would just be a pain as far as I can see. What would the extra blocks add? So far I've only seen "liquid handling", so that's a 2-block structure. Better, I'd say, just to have a Router-like expansion item system where you just pop upgrades into the quarry.

a quarry is a very powerful machine to be just a 1-block structure. it should actually take you time and effort to set it up, instead of it just plopping down and doing it's thing.
the mining well should be the portable mining machine

Reactions: SandGrainOne

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
The BC quarry idea has a lot of missed potential. Imagine if you used an Axe instead of a Pickaxe, you've got a treefarm. You define it's working area (like a builder), and it only harvests wood and chops leaves, perhaps even replant saplings within a pattern.
Add a hoe, and you then have an automated farm.
Plus, the basic quarry could have add upgrade options to harvest liquids, then an ultimate upgrade that doesn't use the arm, but instead the little laser robot, which "shoots" the ores out of the ground, not touching the rock/dirt/gravel/sand/water/lava.

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
Just found out there was a recent update that changed how the quarry uses power. Now, everything can be set in the config and there's a base amount of power to build the frame, move the arm, break blocks and so on, as well as multipliers for the enchants. Efficiency only boosts the speed of the quarry now instead of lowering the power usage as well.

Jakeb

Jul 29, 2019
Just found out there was a recent update that changed how the quarry uses power. Now, everything can be set in the config and there's a base amount of power to build the frame, move the arm, break blocks and so on, as well as multipliers for the enchants. Efficiency only boosts the speed of the quarry now instead of lowering the power usage as well.

I knew about how the power usage could be set in the config, I just changed everything to be 4x higher than default, but are you sure that efficiency only changes the speed? Mine seemed to be really power efficient before I upped it in the configs.