Unable to light a Nether Portal?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone ever have a situation where they cannot light their nether portal? It was created at 64 Y-Axis (sea level I believe) so I do not believe it is 'too high' in the world (isn't there a maximum height for a Nether Portal to work?). I have the proper dimensions for the portal. It is all obsidian (14 blocks) with no connecting obsidian blocks (sitting on top of dirt / grass blocks).

No matter what I try, flint and steel will NOT actually light the portal. I have moved it to numerous locations, all fair distance away from each other, and still no go every time. No errors, no crashing, nada. Just.. no portal lighting. I do not know if this is an issue of Natura and Biomes O'Plenty conflicting, a bug with the flint and steel's behavior, or feasibly anything else. It is hard for me to tell without a crash log.

Help?

AdrianOkanata

Jul 29, 2019
There might be invisible blocks inside the frame, like the ones from wrathlamps or gaseous glowstone. I would try filling in the portal with something like dirt, breaking those blocks, then trying again.

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
SILLY ME, duh. I'm totally sorry, I forgot to include some important details to help in the trouble shooting!

This is a Survival Single Player (SSP) game, running the FTB Beta Pack (152NGT v0.4) with all of the FTB configs. The only change I have made are.. the addition of Biomes O'Plenty (latest version). I have, since this problem arose, removed BOP and started up a new map where I tried to make a nether portal in creative mode. Still have the same problem. This is nowhere near Wrath Lamps (as I have not developed the tech for those yet).

I will however try your 'dirt block' suggestion. Thanks!

rymmie1981

Jul 29, 2019
go into Railcraft config, set block.hidden=0. It's the new Trackman's Aura block and it kills quite a few multiblock structures including the Nether Portal and TConstruct Smelteries.

Reactions: Poppycocks

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
Okay.. so the dirt block notion didn't work. I started troubleshooting by updating any mods that may have impact on the nether. First update was Natura, updated to the latest release candidate (RC2 I believe?) and started up my game to check the problem again.

...and now it works just fine. (shrug) So.. I do am going with 'Natura bug'. :p

nilness

Jul 29, 2019
I actually had exactly this happen recently. Playing on my own 1.52 build. Tried moving the portal, filling and emptying the portal, anything I could think off. The closest I got was sometimes one of the obsidian blocks would actually catch fire :eek: Just gave up for a bit.

One of my kids wandered by and I decided to show him - this was after a log out - and naturally when I tried it then it worked just fine!

For the record, SMP (although so far I'm the only player), 1.5.2, and NO Natura, but I did have Biomes O' Plenty installed, along with many other mods.

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
Its got to be railcrafts heat block... I had the same issue and I hear he added some invisible block into the world. Really really annoyed by this.

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
I removed and reinstalled Natura (Rc2 for 1.5.2), then broke and recreated the portal and this resolved the issue for me. Not sure WHY, but it did. Did not have to mess with Railcraft stuff.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
go into Railcraft config, set block.hidden=0. It's the new Trackman's Aura block and it kills quite a few multiblock structures including the Nether Portal and TConstruct Smelteries.
Thanks mate, you've helped a lot. It broke so much in the pack I'm using it's crazy.