Dartcraft

Do you think Dartcraft should be added?

• Total voters

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I saw DW20's mod spotlight on this, and turned it off after about 10 minutes (first time I've not watched an entire mod spotlight). Force this and Force that. Couldn't really see the point in it.
So in my opinion (only), I have to vote No.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I saw DW20's mod spotlight on this, and turned it off after about 10 minutes (first time I've not watched an entire mod spotlight). Force this and Force that. Couldn't really see the point in it.
So in my opinion (only), I have to vote No.
Your opinion is wronnnnnnnnnnnnggggg! Rawrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Okay, silliness aside, I say go for it, include the bugger. The naming leaves a wee to be desired, but the idea does seem...interesting.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Fun mod, but OP. Force engine is cheaper and better than combustion engine for all uses, cost of tools is silly low, it makes you overflow in silverwood saplings, gathering netherstars is trivial, spoils bags reduce importance of dungeons. On the other hand flight is very cool and balanced, backpacks are combination of best features of Forestry backpacks and RP2 canvas bags, Ender tots provide good, but balanced source of ender pearls before End, Mitt is awesome for clearing leaves and grass, it has exceptionally good documentation in MCF post, Force wrench is really interesting thing (taking TEs and placing them again, portable frames ;)), tool upgrades are very cool, but unfortunately really cheap.

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
Fun mod, but OP. Force engine is cheaper and better than combustion engine for all uses, cost of tools is silly low, it makes you overflow in silverwood saplings, gathering netherstars is trivial, spoils bags reduce importance of dungeons. On the other hand flight is very cool and balanced, backpacks are combination of best features of Forestry backpacks and RP2 canvas bags, Ender tots provide good, but balanced source of ender pearls before End, Mitt is awesome for clearing leaves and grass, it has exceptionally good documentation in MCF post, Force wrench is really interesting thing (taking TEs and placing them again, portable frames ;)), tool upgrades are very cool, but unfortunately really cheap.

Let me give some very much needed counter points here. The tools are about as strong as iron tools, costing the full iron price + force crystals to make. Additionally, the enchanting isnt "cheap" either. You have to keep in mind that they are early game tools, nothing more. No one wants an iron pick and put 30 levels on it.

Additionally, you still have to actually kill the wither and its not like anny of the other mods make getting withers skulls, aka summoning the wither, alot easyer. Ontop, grinding wither skeletons in a fortress is not a fun thing to do and not something you want to be doing with all the other things we got around, this is not vanilla MC we are talking about here, where the wither is the endgame object.

Lastly, the spoils bag is a much needed addition. Right now there is no point what so ever to go and kill mobs yourself aside from some enderman so you can gain acces to the end. The bags add some much needed incentive to kill mobs yourself instead of just getting a turtle army (thats the actually OP mod from the entire modpack) do it for you.

The only thing ill give you is the engine. Wich honestly feels like its still beta values like the entire mod is.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Sharpness 10 sword, armor protecting from wither effect and flight don't make that fight specially challenging. Also fortune/looting 4 for some wheat, coco beans and paper is cheap. Tools themselves are quite balanced, upgrades aren't, specially when you use power tools. Keep in mind that force is very cheap, you can grow it (make a multifarm, plant force trees manually on dirt and add obsidian pipes with energy cell on a timer to collect saplings and nuggets) and for metal you can use basically everything, including xychorium (refined iron also increases your yield).

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
I personally after playing with it for a couple of days thinks its a little OP as stated above its cheapish to make most stuff & as most every one makes a mob grinder pretty early on the spoil bags mean you can just use turtles to farm bags & get items like portal gun, most any TC tools, hell of a lot of steel tool/armor/weps that can uncrafted for ingots, lot of bronze too, diamonds & all ingots, & so so many mits that they uncrafted just for the force & gold ingots, basically seems like its the same random mechanics used for dungeon chest spawns, but with the number of bags you can gain in an hour it becomes OP very fast.

& yes I am abusing the basic dartcraft system by setting up vanilla mob grinders "with the portal gun from spoil bag" or multi grinders, but aint that what we do.

Quetzel11

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, true, but two things. One, turtles do not give rare drops, and two, this is FTB, there's plenty of stuff that people could classify as OP; quantumsuit, nano sabers, vajras, fusionreactors, UU matter, turtles, soul shards, platinum bees. I could go on and on and on! Yet people have no problem using the stuff extensively once its in the modpack. Also, keep in mind that power ore is relztively rare, and that loot bags are an EXTREMELY rare drop, like one in one thousand. So, your point is rendered null and void.[DOUBLEPOST=1369965989][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, the mod is completely modular, so if you think something is too OP, you can just disable it. Even individual upgrades can be disabled.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
For most things, I find "overpowered" to be a rather subjective term. People might find PowerCraft's harvesters, for example, to be overpowered because of how simple they are to make and use. They make wood/sapling/wheat farming insanely simple, all you need is them, a number of stone brick blocks equal to the number of harvesters you made, and a redstone timer of some sort. Get some conveyors or a hungry chest, and you can store all the wonderful wood you could ever possibly want; it even replants the saplings just how you had them placed, if you planted jungle saplings 2x2 to make a big tree, it'll replant 4 saplings in that way so you make big trees again.

One man's overpowered method is another man's definition of efficiency.

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
I've been in love with this mod ever since I found it thanks to DW20, but I guess it would be better if it wasn't added to FTB because the "OH MY GOD WHERE'S MY BALANCE" people would get mad. In italics.
It's amazingly fun, though.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Honestly, I'm not a fan of the upgrade system. I will give the mod author credit where it is due... it is not a mechanic found anywhere else, and it is pretty clever and inventive. It is also a mind-numbingly boring grindfest to get to the higher tier stuff, and really no inclination on my part to actually go through with it when I've already got Modular Powersuits.

The only thing I really like about this mod is the bags. That is a very clever and unique method of doing bags, and I wish it was standalone so I didn't have to deal with all the other crap in the mod.

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, Dartcraft looks kinda crap and I don't want to touch it with anything less than a 5-metre pole. The bags are nice, yes, but you have to use the other stuff to get it, and I'd really prefer not to.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
It is also a mind-numbingly boring grindfest to get to the higher tier stuff, and really no inclination on my part to actually go through with it when I've already got Modular Powersuits.

The problem is that you got Modular Powersuits. Dartcraft tools are cheap, so just make it, break it, make new one, preferable using shards for force in table. If you decide to make the best tools currently available and use them, you can get to max tome in no time.

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
the spoil bags mean you can just use turtles to farm bags & get items like portal gun, most any TC tools, hell of a lot of steel tool/armor/weps that can uncrafted for ingots, lot of bronze too, diamonds & all ingots, & so so many mits that they uncrafted just for the force & gold ingots.

Thats not a problem with Dartcraft, its a problem with computercraft. Luckely Dartcraft disables turtles being able to collect bags. And you can and probably should increase the rarity of portal guns in its config setting instead of blaming the spoil bags. And lastly, the uncrafting is hardly broken. If i find a dungeon i can choose to take those tools or ingots, wich is what, 2 to a max of 9? Taking a whole inventory slot where i could just as well have an entire stack of anny ore type instead. Easy choice for me, AKA leaving just about anny dungeon loot right where i found it. Besides, i like being able to obtain things without needing machines like a quarry.

Moezso

Jul 29, 2019
I really like the flight system in this mod, it just feels natural to me. The pulverizer/smelter pick upgrade is also pretty awesome. The Bane upgrade is kinda OP, it makes creepers totally harmless, and makes Endermen MUCH less of a challenge. The self-charging flight and flatter-faster-further shooting bow are tailor made for ender-dragon slaying. The best feature though, imo, is the Camo upgrade on the armor. You can be fully armored with all the bells and whistles, and still have your awesome pirate skin (or whatever you prefer) showing. Pretty sure MPS can do that too, just for comparisons sake. This mod has a lot of options, I like options.

Note on "balance" : MPS, quantum, and this stuff all make you pretty godly, all for different costs, this is probably the cheapest god-suit to make (it's still not terribly cheap when you consider the time investment), but that just means is you can be dancing with creepers and swimming in lava quicker.

One man's overpowered method is another man's definition of efficiency.
Great quote, great point.

Moezso

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, if it makes creepers harmless, I'm all over it, lol.
It's kinda funny, once you apply Bane to a creeper, it's a pet. It'll follow you around, unable to explode, until you are forced to give it a name. It's too bad we can't give it a sword or something to keep it from despawning, like you can with zombies.

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
Thats not a problem with Dartcraft, its a problem with computercraft. Luckely Dartcraft disables turtles being able to collect bags. And you can and probably should increase the rarity of portal guns in its config setting instead of blaming the spoil bags. And lastly, the uncrafting is hardly broken. If i find a dungeon i can choose to take those tools or ingots, wich is what, 2 to a max of 9? Taking a whole inventory slot where i could just as well have an entire stack of anny ore type instead. Easy choice for me, AKA leaving just about anny dungeon loot right where i found it. Besides, i like being able to obtain things without needing machines like a quarry.

I use 1.5.2, turtles do collect spoil bags in this version, so Dartcraft does not " disables turtles being able to collect bags"