[Suggestion] disable RAM maximum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
Just would like the option to disable the RAM Maximum setting.....a check box by it , or something.

I usually don't pass any RAM argument to java for Minecraft....and have noticed before that when the FTB reaches max memory it freezes the game.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Just would like the option to disable the RAM Maximum setting.....a check box by it , or something.

I usually don't pass any RAM argument to java for Minecraft....and have noticed before that when the FTB reaches max memory it freezes the game.
The RAM maximum setting is to prevent users from allocating more RAM than they have available. When anything reaches max memory, it will freeze/crash.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
I don't mind the lock on the amount of memory used.....it is the entire thing I want to turn off.....so that java or minecraft will allocate memory....however that works....

Not really a biggy , just something that has always bothered me.

Avalon4

Jul 29, 2019
If you let Java do that, it will just keep taking until your computer runs out of memory :p
By this logic, ANY program would take until the computer ran out of memory. Wouldn't you think Java had some sort of protection from this?

Because it does. Java already allocates memory to itself within the computer's capabilities when it is installed.

You are correct about the memory though: If you allocate more memory than you have, the computer will eventually crash, or at least have other problems.

So let me make this argument: If I know that I can allow Java to allocate more memory than it is being given, and I already know how to do this... PROPERLY...
Then why not allow me to do this?

And if FTB feels that it needs to shelter more casual computer users, that is nice of them. But let people who know the risks take them.
Perhaps you can add a dialog box that appears when the check box for limiting the RAM is unchecked:

WARNING! Improper RAM allocation can lead to system instability!
FTB is not responsible for problems caused by user-defined RAM allocation.

Are you sure you wish to allow user-defined RAM allocation? [Yes/No]

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
Other Minecraft Modpack launchers allow allocation of more than 1GB RAM for 32-bit systems, allowing me to use 64x texture packs and gain much smoother gameplay in general as a result of allocating more memory. Since FTB limits me to 1GB, I've got choppy game play and 16x/32x texture packs.

Can we PLEASE remove this arbitrary limit? Or at least RAISE it to 1.5GB / 2 GB?

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
I would like to know how. From my understanding, 32 bit Java can't actually read more than 1 GB of RAM.

The launcher for Tekkit Classic / Tekkit Lite lets me set a max of 2GB. It was originally 1.5GB but I did some system clean up and freed up more operating space in my system memory. On a related note, the FTB Launcher my limit to 1GB of active memory on 32-bit systems but JAVA actually takes up 1.45GB of RAM while running on my system. (shrug)

The primary thing is... the Tekkit Launcher lets me open up more system memory which means I can use 64x Texture packs. With FTB I am limited to 32x texture packs.. most of which are nonexistent / imcomplete for FTB Ultimate.

Avalon4

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone on the FTB team like to weigh in on this? I personally am trying to think of ways I can run my mods without being subject to the RAM throttle imposed by the FTB Launcher...

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
It is impossible to remove the RAM limit, as far as I know. If you don't give Java a setting, it will assume one quarter of your RAM. This is irrelevant as the launcher always sets it's own limit to 1 GB by default, but even if it didn't, the throttle would still exist. The RAM throttle is not from the launcher, it's from Java itself, so the mod pack team couldn't change it anyway.

At the moment I think there's a pretty bad memory leak which I'm blaming Mystcraft for, as it seems to get worse the more you travel to different ages and places. I may be wrong about this though.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
At the moment I think there's a pretty bad memory leak which I'm blaming Mystcraft for, as it seems to get worse the more you travel to different ages and places. I may be wrong about this though.
There's quite a few mods involved in the memory leaks, but Mystcraft is big contributor.

LazarusCore

Jul 29, 2019
I'm suffering from a memory leak too, finding that any time spent in twilight forest quickly maxes out the available ram.

Once it's at the Max allocated it tends to hang for a few seconds at a time, our outright crash

Paul17041993

Mar 17, 2013
Australia
www.vectrobe.net
Ill put it this way, not possible.

as much as it would be a great and friendly idea, there's no real way of implementing such a thing without it creating a massive amount of issues, its a *maximum usage* anyway so you just set it to 2GB or 4GB if you have enough spare ram and never worry about it again.

Raziel420

Jul 29, 2019
The 1 GB limitation, is 32 bit java, it will not operate with more then 2 GB allocated, because x32 operating systems CAN'T allocate more then 3 GB of ram (the addresses are MORE then 32 bits long). Not to mention if your running anything newer then XP (which itself uses about 512 of ram) like vista (almost 1.5GB of ram) or 7 (back down to 1GB thanks to not being broken), you end up only being able to allocate a portion of ram to java. The game and java are not the problem, your operating system is.

Running unleashed on my computer (Win 7 x64, with 7.5 GB allocated) FTB takes up 756MB of ram just to load a single world on normal view. With far, or MOVING it quickly jumps up to over a GB.

Best thing you can do is upgrade your PC to run a 64 bit OS (they have only been out for about 6-7 years now, I guess 12-14 generations is pretty new in computer terms, hell download Ubuntu and have it put a partition on your computer and dual boot your crappy 32 bit OS and a free x64 OS), with both intel and AMD making x64 chips for just about as long, you most likely should have already been running a x64 OS. If you already have x64 OS installed, WHY THE HELL AREN'T YOU RUNNING x64 JAVA?!?!?!?!?! http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp go, just go get it now.

Paul17041993

Mar 17, 2013
Australia
www.vectrobe.net
/\ /\ /\

heh yes that, forgot to mention you **SHOULD** be running 64bit java 7 (update 25 or later) ("JRE1.7_u25x64")

if your not, well, aint you a silly squid then, you don't need 32bit installed unless you really need to use java inside a webbrowser or something, but even then you could just use something like waterfox which runs x64...

and if your computer is still running a 32bit OS, god FTB have mercy on your soul...

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
What you are asking for is the way it is for a very good reason, we limit 32bit instillations to 1GB ram because they can only have a total of 4GB of RAM in the computer, about 1GB of this is used by the OS and a further 2GB is used up by other things. The reason for this is a little complex but I'll try and explain, in your computers memory different applications that are running or have been ran since startup use memory to run, they also load DLL's into the address space, note, it isn't specifically using much of this space, just one DLL is loaded into it, after the program closes the address space it used is now free but the DLL's remain. Code in windows to optimise RAM allocation minimises the relocation of DLL's meaning you end up with a fragmented address space with DLL's scattered through it. Java requires contiguous address space and therefore it can't use the address space with the DLL's in it because it's not continuous, so basically what all this means is that a lot of the usable ram is useless to java, this is why we impose the 1GB limit on the 32 bit OS's, it is technically possible to raise this limit to 1.5 - 2GB but it would cause a lot more problems than its worth due to this issue, to fix this issue, get a 64 bit OS, I don't want to go into the reasons why but essentially this problem is totally gone with 64 bit because the computer can address more memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.