Best Place to Mine

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Akeldama280

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a perfect place to mine for a good amount of iron/gold/diamonds/coal? And also, is there a specific way that I should mine to get max amount of ores? E.G. Strip mining, 3x3 mineshafts downwards etc

Djharts

Jul 29, 2019
I always mine at Y-12. Just strip-mine. But all these new ores usually spawn higher up.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a perfect place to mine for a good amount of iron/gold/diamonds/coal? And also, is there a specific way that I should mine to get max amount of ores? E.G. Strip mining, 3x3 mineshafts downwards etc

First, review these two pages:

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Mining

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Mining_tactics

After that, your best bet is going to be making a branch mine (three block spacing to five block spacing) at y12 for those vanilla materials.

VANtheSven

Jul 29, 2019
Best way to mine in FTB is probably quarry'ing away from top to bottom. For vanilla-only ores (are we talking about getting them in an FTB pack, or in normal vanilla) your best bet is probably around y=12, but I believe that in the FTB packs iron etc. spawns more at certain y levels

Hitmaniac

Jul 29, 2019
If your mining with a pickaxe, I would recommend getting a Mining Laser and mining on horizontal settings. It is easier and faster but requires EU. Then I would proceed to making a quarry and powering it with 4-5 biogas engnes.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
If your mining with a pickaxe, I would recommend getting a Mining Laser and mining on horizontal settings. It is easier and faster but requires EU. Then I would proceed to making a quarry and powering it with 4-5 biogas engnes.
if there was no chance of the mining laser destroying the blocks that it mines, then I'd be its biggest fan... IC2 likes to fuck your day up though (lossless wrench.. dafuq...)

Akeldama280

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks! I think ill make my turtle (only have enough diamonds for one) strip mine. Thanks for the help.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
I tend to use (and really like) phoenix mining.

As far as perfect spots go... Well, it depends on what you're trying to mine.

I see people mine at Y 12, I usually do Y 11. You'll get almost everything - except for copper. Level 50 is good for copper and tin.

Then there's the different biomes... That's a bummer, luckily the only biome specific ores are GT sapphire, rubies and bauxite. And emeralds. But funk those. From the first three only bauxite is important and that's plentiful in most biomes. So dig away.