How do you feel about an Advanced Jetpack

Scaffolding

Jul 29, 2019
The Electric Jetpack is a simpler, more easily recharged, and otherwise mostly superior version of the conventional Jetpack. Flying is performed by holding down the jump key.
The Electric Jetpack is limited to a maximum flying height of ~185 meters (blocks) above the bedrock layer. For comparison, the normal Jetpack is limited to ~245 meters above bedrock.

When the next version of Gravitation Suite gets added to the modpacks we will have:
ChangeLog of Gravitation Suite 1.7:
+ Added new cool item "Advanced Jetpack"
-> energy storage 1 000 000 eu.
-> can charge at MFE, MFSU
-> overlocked engine - max height now limit to 256 ! (energy consumption 50% more than standard Electric Jetpack)
-> supplies with energy your electrotool (as drill, saw, laser and etc..)
-> can enable and disable jetpack engine for your convenience ("Fly" key)
-> boost mode (energy consumption x5 more)
-> advanced visual indication of charge state and work mode (you can change work mode by shift "Space bar" and press "Mode key" )

So I know there are a lot of people who want this and also quite a few that are fine with the Electric Jetpack. I like the idea but at the same time I'm one of those people avoiding the Gravichest because of everything it offers. I probably did my math wrong but it looks like 2 hours of usage in hover mode.

I'm just curious about how some people feel about this addition and whether or not they intend to use it.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
well, since IC2 is getting old, and I don't think I will include it in ultimate, and we already got MPS jetpacks that can fly infinte upwards, is compatible with MJ, etc. I'm indifferent about it.

Before I was praying to get one, but MPS is way better than IC2 itself.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Unfortunately thumbs down from me. I like the choice of having a jetpack, power for tools, or armor - not two at the same time. Other than that, 1M EU seems a little too excessive for only 50% more usage. That's 22 times more flight time. But it really depends on the resource cost: is this going to be a slightly more expensive jetpack, or a slightly cheaper gravisuit?

NTaylor

Jul 29, 2019
Unfortunately thumbs down from me. I like the choice of having a jetpack, power for tools, or armor - not two at the same time. Other than that, 1M EU seems a little too excessive for only 50% more usage. That's 22 times more flight time. But it really depends on the resource cost: is this going to be a slightly more expensive jetpack, or a slightly cheaper gravisuit?

Looking at the recipe (too lazy to type it all out here : P) the main cost is an advanced lappack + a jetpack asside from that you need two of a new engine booster part that take Overclockers, advanced alloy, advanced heat sinks and a little bit of extra. Aside from that you just need some carbon plates to make it. So really it is not long after you get yourself a compressor. The one thing to note is at least for the minute it can not be upgraded into a gravity suite or anything so it is not like a stepping stone to the gravi suite or anything.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019

rember is 1M eu to also power your tools.

Giddimani

Jul 29, 2019
I think the basic electric jetpack is way too cheap to make (lake most IC2 stuff) and uses nearly no energy (80EU/sec in hover mode compared to over 8000EU/sec with the GraviChest).

Imo the GraviChest is well balanced (really expensive, uses lots of energy), but the electric jetpack and also the advanced jetpack are way too cheap to make/to sustain.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
I think the basic electric jetpack is way too cheap to make (lake most IC2 stuff) and uses nearly no energy (80EU/sec in hover mode compared to over 8000EU/sec with the GraviChest).

Imo the GraviChest is well balanced (really expensive, uses lots of energy), but the electric jetpack and also the advanced jetpack are way too cheap to make/to sustain.

if you don't like it don't use it, just like gregtech lovers tell to gregtech haters.

Giddimani

Jul 29, 2019
if you don't like it don't use it, just like gregtech lovers tell to gregtech haters.

The threadstarter asked about our opinion, if we like it or not and if we will use it, I answer what I think and this is your response? Really?

Scaffolding

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not fond of the ability to charge tools but it makes sense that it does considering the recipe. I can't imagine an alternate recipe that could have been used to avoid adding the feature although I'm sure it wouldn't matter either way considering it's a GraviSuite item and would logically have such an ability considering most items from that mod have this ability. Also I was quite surprised by the amount of EU stored, seems like a massive leap from the original item.

I haven't paid much attention to the MPS mod but that is only because the most of my users barely make use of the Tech mods in the first place. I believe everyone that is actually using power, uses a combo of IC2 and Forestry/TE.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
The threadstarter asked about our opinion, if we like it or not and if we will use it, I answer what I think and this is your response? Really?

There's a reason Dravarden is the sole member of my ignore list... he's been showing a remarkable lack of reading comprehension and a penchant for making pointless disruptive posts like this one for months now. It really takes a lot to make me go so far as to actually use this function, because I believe that everyone is entitled to say their piece, but there's only so much learning-resistant nonsequitur flaming that I can take. Not having to see it anymore dramatically improved my forum experience.

And sure enough, every so often I come across a thread like this one, where an aggravated reply sits seemingly without fitting in, and I spy the little "show ignored content" button at the bottom of the thread... and I instantly know what happened ;)

As for the advanced jetpack... I'm also not a fan of combining the various functionality options you can have in your chest slot. But I suppose since this is a "end of line item", and combines the two items that provide the actual features it has, it might work out for it. I'll have to try it out ingame, to see how it handles and how the recipe feels, before I can really judge an item.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
My opinion is that I wish it did not have the ability to power my tools, or at least the ability to toggle that, because I REALLY do not want it to power my tools unless I specifically am aiming to have it power my tools. The increased charging speed, extra power, movement speed, and height are nice, and something that is needed as the game really goes "Get a jetpack, wait for a GraviChestPlate" for me. Yes, I could make some nano armor (and I'll need it anyways for the GraviChestPlate), but why? More protection? I can fly, buddy. In almost all cases, being able to hammer the jump key is a great deal more protection than you'd get with a few more armor points.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
I think it'd be nice if we could toggle the functionality
So, it either diverts its power to make a jetpack function, or divert the power to powering tools

That'd be very handy if for example you're mining glowstone over a lava lake, when you fall off, rather than the current, open inventory quickly switch to jetpack and hammer the jump key and hope you did it quick enough, it would still take a bit of risk, but a decreased amount.

Reactions: Guswut

Battledonkey

Jul 29, 2019

I'd rather stuff be too cheap to make, rather than everything being endgame, like gregtech.

Reactions: Dravarden

Damoklesz

Jul 29, 2019
IMO it could use a couple of iridiums in the recipe. Obviously not as much as the gravichestplate. My reasoning is that the advanced jetpack is actually not as much a stepping stone or a middle ground... it's more like 90% as good as the gravichestplate. Yeah, no armor and no creative mode hovering, but you have a HUGE internal energy storage, tool poweing, height limit is nice for mining in the Gregtech-End... and you still have your remaining armor slots to make yourself nearly invincible anyways.

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
Did anyone else also see the Varja/Vajra got a new texture, as did the advanced tools? Also, the gravitool, which is a electric wrench, electric treetap, and electric hoe. Now I can have a sword, axe, shears, pick, shovel, wrench, treetap and hoe, an only use up three slots! It's like having the EE2 multi tools back, but with more balance.

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
I'm okay with anything that fills up the big void of content before the iron/diamond tier, like the Slag Furnace and the Project Table. Anything that lets you make progress without have to make items that are crafted by other items, that require even more items.

Damoklesz

Jul 29, 2019
does this jetpack have hover? cannot figure it out
It doesn't. Not like the gravichestplate. The advanced jetpack work like a normal electric jetpack. You can use the same key you use on the normal one (the IC2 mode switch key) to turn "hover mode" on an off, but it's not real hovering, it's just a less powerful thrust.

Moezso

Jul 29, 2019
does this jetpack have hover? cannot figure it out
It doesn't. Not like the gravichestplate. The advanced jetpack work like a normal electric jetpack. You can use the same key you use on the normal one (the IC2 mode switch key) to turn "hover mode" on an off, but it's not real hovering, it's just a less powerful thrust.
For some reason it doesn't want to go into hover mode for me either. It's bound to M (the IC2 jetpack mode is) and works for the normal electric jetpack.