dungeon generation in mystcraft ages

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Damoklesz

Jul 29, 2019
I'm looking for steadfast bees for a few days now. I already had mystcraft installed, so I made a villager farm, got a bunch of pages, and finally got the dungeon page. The problem is that dungeons don't seem to generate in any of the ages I make. Here is my book setup:
Flat
Single biome
Desert
Normal sun
Dark stars
Standard lighting
Normal weather
Dungeons
Clear Modifiers

The only important thing I'm missing is the moon, because I don't have any of those pages yet. So my ages are a bit unstable, but I can live with that. The problem is that I found no dungeons anywhere in them. I even tried stacking more of the dungeon pages, and no luck.

As a final effort I used the vanilla X-ray glitch with a sticky piston pushing a block of glowstone into my face, and I saw absolutely no dungeons whatsoever.

Am I doing something wrong? Is this a bug? Am I just really-really unlucky?

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
As you already know, most pages take modifiers (tendrils + gold ore make gold ore tendrils, for example). That you're not finding any dungeons leads me to believe that you need another page to match with it, possibly a landmarks page or similar? Haven't delved into the new Mystcraft yet. Try giving yourself a full creative notebook and browsing for that kind of page.

Edit: I guess giving yourself a book in Creative doesn't give you a full notebook.

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
Well I did some tests. Using just dungeons like you have I was unable to find any number of dungeons over any range of area. I tried moving the dungeons page outside the clear modifiers page because I thought it might have something to do with it and it does not. What I did find was that if you include caves in the generation then you will be able to find dungeons. It seems that dungeon generation is in some way dependent on cave generation. So add caves and you should be able to find some dungeons.

Damoklesz

Jul 29, 2019
Well I did some tests. Using just dungeons like you have I was unable to find any number of dungeons over any range of area. I tried moving the dungeons page outside the clear modifiers page because I thought it might have something to do with it and it does not. What I did find was that if you include caves in the generation then you will be able to find dungeons. It seems that dungeon generation is in some way dependent on cave generation. So add caves and you should be able to find some dungeons.

Thx for the testing, I guess it's time for more trading then...

According to the mystcraft wiki the dungeon symbol "Follows the same placement rules as the Overworld, so even when this symbol is written some ages cannot possibly house Dungeons."
And the minecraft wiki does say that dungeons tend to spawn around caves. So it makes sense. I just wish at least one of them were a bit less cryptic...

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
I found dungeons, but they seem to start over 400 blocks from your spawn location. I explored hundreds of blocks in all directions, then loaded map into Minutor and looked in Cave mode.

Damoklesz

Jul 29, 2019
How do you load a mystcraft age into Minutor? I have the nether and the end in the menu, but i can't find an option for custom dimensions.

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
In Minutor ... File->Open
navigate to your save folder
open the respective DIM folder for the age you are after ...
enter the filename "forcedchunks.dat" (not the default, "level.dat")
Profit !

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
Edit: I guess giving yourself a book in Creative doesn't give you a full notebook.
It does, but it has to be the "Notebook - Creative Spawned" one, which is solely available in the Creative Mode GUI. The NEI spawned one is a regular (crafted) Notebook without symbols.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
The problem is that dungeons don't seem to generate in any of the ages I make.
Do you mean vanilla dungeons, the square-ish zombie/skeleton/spider spawner dungeons? I'm not sure if "Dungeons" refers to those, or the surface mounds that, I think, are a Thaumcraft addition. I've seen the surface mound ones in Mystcraft ages, but this was before the major recent update. I haven't dabbled in Mystcraft recently otherthan zipping through my travel hub void age as quickly as possible in order to keep any potential decay to a minimum. I don't know if it has decay, but it has a sickness now that it never used to have. I'm actually pretty upset that the new Mystcraft has messed up my existing stable ages. If I lose my transport nexus (complete with gold columns, wrath lamps, and a lot of Obsidian) then I shall be most put out.[/rant]

Maldroth

Jul 29, 2019
You can also find pages in random created ages. There is a building on the surface that is about 200-500 blocks out from your spawn point in the age. In there you will get a random amount of 3-5 pages on lecturns and there is also a chest with more pages. Also on the surface you can sometimes find Thaumcraft Obsidian temples and Barrow Hills and those will have chests as well. This makes gathering pages much easier to help build a stable age.