Tree Breeding (Spoilers)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
Do the Trees need to be pure bred to crossbreed?
Sorry for not responding I've been busy this week.
No they don't need to be pure bred but I believe just like bees they also have a chance of using both the species when mutating so you may not get the mutation you want.

For anyone who has successfully bred a Willow tree, what biome were you located in? I never got one in Plains or Woodlands despite tons of bees & trees interacting and was only finally able to get one when I setup a pair of Marshy bees surrounded by the appropriate trees in a Swamp.

And also, I love the grafter. That one simple device has made tree breeding about 10,000 times less tedious and annoying. In the two days since our server upgraded to Forestry 2 as part of Mindcrack 8 I have gotten more new tree species than in the previous couple of weeks under the old version of Forestry. Yeah, I may have burned through most of a stack of bronze, but the only trees I have left to "discover" are the Yellow Meranti and the three whose breeding is bugged in version 2.0.0.2 (Wenge, Baobob, & Sipiri).

Glad you confirmed this for me as I also got a willow by breeding in a swamp. I'm not sure if its impossible to get in other biomes, but I got one very fast before 2.0 and the grafter in a swamp and never have gotten one in the plains biome my other trees are in.

NightKev

Jul 29, 2019
Willow (and Sipiri) trees do indeed have a unique temperature/humidity requirement, which the guide does not mention.

Reactions: Gilgamorgh

NightKev

Jul 29, 2019
I am pretty sure there is far more trees than that. But really useful guide!
This is only for Forestry trees (obviously). EBXL, Twilight Forest, etc add a ton more trees, but they're not breedable via Forestry's system.

Gilgamorgh

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the tip on Sipiri trees NightKev :) due to a severe lack of information i will post this here. As i have no idea how to do a spoiler tab, i will just come right out and confirm that Sipiri Saplings will only grow in warm/humid biomes. I still have no idea the breeding combination yet (its completely left out of the chart) but i would suggest a tropical location to attempt breeding them. They give out greenheart logs, and look somewhat similar to a cross between balsa and yellow meranti (my starting point for trying to breed them naturally) but they also have similarities to the kapok (ive only ever bred one of those, so i dont have the material to research that link yet). They only require one sapling to grow.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
Willow (and Sipiri) trees do indeed have a unique temperature/humidity requirement, which the guide does not mention.
Thanks for the tip on Sipiri trees NightKev :) due to a severe lack of information i will post this here. As i have no idea how to do a spoiler tab, i will just come right out and confirm that Sipiri Saplings will only grow in warm/humid biomes. I still have no idea the breeding combination yet (its completely left out of the chart) but i would suggest a tropical location to attempt breeding them. They give out greenheart logs, and look somewhat similar to a cross between balsa and yellow meranti (my starting point for trying to breed them naturally).
Hmm... I didn't even know there was a Sipiri tree and from searching I can't find any info about them. If anyone knows the specifics about the Sipiri tree like how to breed it and where, I'll add it to the guide with your name as who found the info.

MouseyPounds

Jul 29, 2019
Sipiri should come from the combo of Yellow Meranti + Kapok as of version 2.0.0.3; prior to that, the Meranti/Kapok combo mistakenly generated a Willow. A similar issue blocks the Wenge breeding (Acacia + Balsa mistakenly mutates back into Acacia) -- that one is fixed in version 2.0.0.4. Unfortunately the server I play on is still at 2.0.0.2 so I haven't been able to confirm those in-game. Information comes from the version history and bug reports.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
Sipiri should come from the combo of Yellow Meranti + Kapok as of version 2.0.0.3; prior to that, the Meranti/Kapok combo mistakenly generated a Willow. A similar issue blocks the Wenge breeding (Acacia + Balsa mistakenly mutates back into Acacia) -- that one is fixed in version 2.0.0.4. Unfortunately the server I play on is still at 2.0.0.2 so I haven't been able to confirm those in-game. Information comes from the version history and bug reports.
Might be why I haven't been able to get the wenge sapling, I also play on 2.0.0.2.
I'll have to update forestry when I find the time.

NightKev

Jul 29, 2019
Sipiris should be able to breed in roughly the same areas as the Willow, more or less, I think. Rather annoying for me, as our mining age has none of the right biomes! Tried to create a new one and the infamous marble generation bug occurred (though it was a flat age, and I thought it only affected cave worlds... so uh, look out I guess).

Gilgamorgh

Jul 29, 2019
Sipiri definitely grows in tropical biomes ... havent tested in swamps yet but will soon ... have set up a testing area with yellow meranti and kapok to confirm that this gives Sipiri

Bickers

Jul 29, 2019
just got a willow at last in redwood forest so it seems thay require damp humidity as redwood forest is normal/damp

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
just got a willow at last in redwood forest so it seems thay require damp humidity as redwood forest is normal/damp
That makes sense because willows in the USA at least are mostly found growing in the wild in high humidity and damp areas like swamps and by lakes.

drazath

Jul 29, 2019
So, has anyone progressed as far as getting some of those traits to another breed? I'd especially like to see if anyone's managed to make gigantic versions of trees other than the sequoia. :D

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
So, has anyone progressed as far as getting some of those traits to another breed? I'd especially like to see if anyone's managed to make gigantic versions of trees other than the sequoia. :D
I haven't tried to get a giant tree but I have been able to get various things through cross breeding pretty much its the same idea behind getting another tree mutation you break the mutated leaves.

I have gotten some trees that are as tall as a sequoia however by accident lol.

Carrington

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone know of a quick reference for biome humidity/temperature data? Apart from plopping down an apiary?

Bickers

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone know of a quick reference for biome humidity/temperature data? Apart from plopping down an apiary?
best way is to put one down also sometimes the hives in the area can kinda tell you what biome its closest to

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019

Small necro, but...

There used to be a list on the old forestry wiki, but that's now removed and not in the new one yet

forest, plains, ocean, beach, river: normal/normal
desert: hot/arid
jungle: warm/damp
swamp: normal/damp
ice plains: cold/arid (humidity might be wrong)
nether: hellish/arid

The ExtraBiomes are generally what you think they would be.

If anybody is curious, I got this list of saplings from dungeons prior to the update. They then sat in chests, ignored until recently

Code:
                        Saplings / Matures / Height / Girth / Yield / Sappiness
[3 Saplings] Silver Lime: (Normal / Slower  / Ave    / 1x1  / Normal/ Lower)
[4 Saplings] Mundane Larch (Norm  / Slower  / Ave    / 1x1  / Normal/ Lower)
[3 Saplings] Hill Cherry  (Normal / Slower  / Small  / 1x1  / Normal/ Lower)

[1 Sapling]  Sequoia      (Normal / Slower  / Gigant / 3x3  / Normal/ Lower)
[3 Saplings] Teak        (Normal / Slower  / Ave    / 1x1  / Normal/ Lower)
[5 Saplings] Balsa        (Triple / Slower  / Larger / 1x1  / Normal/ Lower)
[4 Saplings] Desert Acacia(Normal / Slower  / Small  / 1x1  / Normal/ Lower)
[8 Saplings] Sweet Chestnut (Norm / Slower  / Large  / 2x2  / Normal/ Lower)

Breeds that are mutated normally are slightly different
(Bred) Silver Lime: Normal / Fast / Small / 1x1 / Normal / Lower
(Bred) Hill Cherry: Normal / Fast / Smaller / 1x1 / Normal / "gui.highest"
(Bred) Common Walnut: Normal / Fast / Average / 2x2 / Normal / "gui.highest"
(Bred) Teak: Normal / Fast / Small / 1x1 / Lowest / Lower

Reactions: Carrington