thaumcraft 3 research

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

zaekeon

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe this has been asked a million times, but when you start Thaumcraft 3, is there a particular order that is optimal of items to research? Or do you just keep sticking items in and hoping it gives you a little paper to start working towards and try to figure out what it is that it wants you to research?

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
The two options are wing it until you find some sort of research, and then figure out that research by guessing at it (I've heard claims that the description of the research can assist you with this, but from what I've seen the descriptions are not very informative), or you can look up a cheat sheet/tutorial on ThaumCraft3 and find all of the steps for researching there.

You can switch between the two options as needed, of course. For example, you are stuck researching something that you're pretty sure you've tried everything to find. Instead of giving up like when you're stuck on an Angry Birds level, or the like, you can just hop online and find out what you are missing.

Good luck!

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Part of learning to Thaumcraft is learning what sort of aspects pair with what sort of objects. To this end the initial research will probably not be very fruitful but as you progress through T2 you'll feel a lot more certain about research.

For example, I am quite certain I know exactly what I need to research for perceptive golem cores now. I have not done that research yet, but I understand the pattern and which aspects relate to golems. I was also very certain the instant I read the Portable Hole description which other aspects would be helpful.

It also really helps to keep simple tools and armor nearby at all times; these aspects come up a lot but people don't often think to check it. I've got a barrel full of stone pickaxes and many pairs of iron boots in my workshop now to assist with this.

So if anything these initial roadblocks seem to be an intentional feature of the gameplay.

Spikednate12

Nov 14, 2012
Part of learning to Thaumcraft is learning what sort of aspects pair with what sort of objects. To this end the initial research will probably not be very fruitful but as you progress through T2 you'll feel a lot more certain about research.

For example, I am quite certain I know exactly what I need to research for perceptive golem cores now. I have not done that research yet, but I understand the pattern and which aspects relate to golems. I was also very certain the instant I read the Portable Hole description which other aspects would be helpful.

It also really helps to keep simple tools and armor nearby at all times; these aspects come up a lot but people don't often think to check it. I've got a barrel full of stone pickaxes and many pairs of iron boots in my workshop now to assist with this.

So if anything these initial roadblocks seem to be an intentional feature of the gameplay.

Out of curiosity are you using the boots for armor aspect?

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
Use a lot of cheap easily made items for aspects, such as

Levers
Wood buttons
Workbenches
Chests
Seeds
Reeds
carrots
Cacti
Flint
Chiseled sandstone
Melon slices
Zombie flesh
Xycraft shards have aspects now.

Lots of ready to get stuff are great for research.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Out of curiosity are you using the boots for armor aspect?

Yes. We use whatever armor-suitable material is on-hand. One way to optimize this a bit is to alembic metal boots and then keep the metal aspect off to the side for later use in thaumium or nugget generation.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Chestplates give a better aspect:iron ratio.

Boots require less materials, though. I'd do the chestplate now that I know to alembic off before research, but back when we were stockpiling the boots I didn't.

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
Boots require less materials, though. I'd do the chestplate now that I know to alembic off before research, but back when we were stockpiling the boots I didn't.

Heya!

What do you mean alembic off? Will the research table somehow use aspects from warded jars and such?

Im about to start researching and that could prove very useful. :D

Hrulgin

Jul 29, 2019
Yep. The research table will consider a phial of an aspect as 8 of that aspect for research.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
That really is a good way to get the most out of objects. That's one of the reasons that alembics are so brutally expensive to make.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
I try to limit my researching to stackable, renewable items, and to that end, there are a few ones that aren't immediately obvious as lower-aspect, but renewable versions:
- Flint (Instrumentum)
- Leather (Armour)
- Trapdoor (Motus)
- Cactus (Weapon)
- Eggs (Permutatio)
- Feathers (Aura and Volitio)
- Blaze Rods/Powder (Magic)

If you have a farm for each of these, your research will be far less costly/time consuming.

Airameith

Jul 29, 2019
Boat is much better for motous. Uses only 5 planks vs 6 and you get more value of motous (4)than a trapdoor's 1. Though of course you can't stack them, which is a pain, but barrels make them manageable.

Also. If you're just starting into your research, start up a chicken farm and start stockpiling feathers. Cow farms are useful too, if you don't have a lot of iron to make armor.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Boat is much better for motous. Uses only 5 planks vs 6 and you get more value of motous (4)than a trapdoor's 1. Though of course you can't stack them, which is a pain, but barrels make them manageable.
Yeah, stacking is my main issue with research. If I'm making something, and need the aspect, I'll use boats, but it's a pain to have to replace the item each time it's used in research.

Airameith

Jul 29, 2019
I just fill all the slots with boats, because I still have a old forestry tree farm, and far more wood then I care to deal with. So boats for everyone!

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012

Also. If you're just starting into your research, start up a chicken farm and start stockpiling feathers. Cow farms are useful too, if you don't have a lot of iron to make armor.
Well, if like me, I have only found one chicken so far, which I had to kill for food, and so only have one egg. Haven't yet found any cows in my world.
All my leather and feathers are coming from my recycler scrap boxes, so not a reliable steady source.

Can't believe I need to on a mission to find chickens and also silverwood trees. There's none anywhere near me! May even have to build a little safe house miles from my base so I can escape at night from mobs.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Well, if like me, I have only found one chicken so far, which I had to kill for food, and so only have one egg. Haven't yet found any cows in my world.
All my leather and feathers are coming from my recycler scrap boxes, so not a reliable steady source.

Can't believe I need to on a mission to find chickens and also silverwood trees. There's none anywhere near me! May even have to build a little safe house miles from my base so I can escape at night from mobs.
You can do that.

But you could also bring a bead instead. Plomp it down as it's gettin' dark. Have a good nights sleep - no monsters spawned.

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
Well, if you have a single egg you have a 1:8 chance of getting yourself a farm :p

Its better than nothing!

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Bread? Didn't realise that Bread was that good to sleep on :p

I am thinking of gambling my single egg :D