Tree Breeding (Spoilers)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
Hello FTB mates, some of you like me have probably been wondering where the information for tree breeding has been. Look no more as a member of the minecraft forums posted a diagram of the breeding combinations a few days ago and up until now I've not been able to verify that its right (I haven't been able to completely verify it still since it takes ages to get anything) but I've gotten up to the sweet chestnut following the diagram.

Link to the original post for the diagram:

Written out:
Oak + Birch = Silver lime 15% chance
Oak + Birch = Willow 10% chance *
Oak + Spruce = Mundane Larch 15% chance
Oak + Silver lime = Cherry 10% chance
Oak + Silver lime = Willow 10% chance *

*With the help of MouseyPounds and through my own and other forum members experience we believe the trees have a requirement of being in a swamp or a damp humidity biome in order to get a willow sapling mutation*

Birch + Silver lime = Cherry 10% chance
Birch + Spruce = Mundane Larch 15% chance
Birch + Silver lime = Willow 10% chance

Spruce + Mundane Larch = Bull Pine 10% chance

Bull Pine + Mundane Larch = Sequoia 5% chance

Jungle + Silver lime = Teak 10% chance
Jungle + Teak = Kapok 10% chance

Teak + Silver lime = Balsa 10% chance
Teak + Balsa = Desert Acacia 10% chance
Teak + Kapok = Myrtle Ebony 10% chance

wenge I think maybe bred by combining balsa and desert acacia, but it has no arrow and I haven't been able to get a sapling yet so its unconfirmed
Wenge + Balsa = Baobob 10% chance

Kapok + Myrtle Ebony = Yellow Meranti 10% chance
Kapok + Yellow Meranti = Willow 10% chance

Cherry + Silver lime = Walnut 10% chance
Cherry + Walnut = Chestnut 10% chance

Walnut + Silver lime = Chestnut 10% chance

Tell me if I missed something.

The key I've found is to create gigantic forests of the tree combo you need and have pure bee farms cycling 24/7 scattered throughout the forest.

emmasteadman

Jul 29, 2019
Could you or someone simplify this?....the diagram for me is too confusing.

I've only managed to get up too hill cherry, common walnut, bull pine. Tried all sorts of combos it feels, with 10 aviaries with pure bred industrial bees.

Posting some combos would help.

Thanks

zooqooo

Jul 29, 2019
Firstly, the arrows are backwards. You start at one of the 4 base trees (oak, birch, spruce, jungle), when one of the leaves mutates, there is a certain chance what mutation you'll get. For instance, spruce has a 10% chance of Bull Pine and a 30% chance for mundane lark (I assume the boxes add together). Err, that is indeed less than 100, so now I'm more confused then when I started.

Maybe the remaining 60% the mutation just doesn't happen? I have no idea.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
Could you or someone simplify this?....the diagram for me is too confusing.

I've only managed to get up too hill cherry, common walnut, bull pine. Tried all sorts of combos it feels, with 10 aviaries with pure bred industrial bees.

Posting some combos would help.

Thanks

I added a written out combo to the first post sorry for any typos or repeats I am very tired but love to help people lol.
This should be a complete list and they all are confirmed by me to be legit combos except the wenge I have no idea how to get it only theory's.
Hope it helps.

ps. figure the 10% or what ever into the chance that a regular sapling will drop and that's how rare a mutated sapling will drop.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a bee that needs to be working to bred some trees?
All bee's will breed the same trees. The industrial bees will breed them a little faster but I didn't really see the difference. I just used forest bees.

If your wondering if your doing something wrong because your not getting a new breed. Chances are you are doing everything right the problem is the chances of getting a new tree is very slim on top of simply getting a regular sapling. To heighten your chances of getting a new breed you want to plant a lot of the two breeds in the combo and nothing else.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
All bee's will breed the same trees. The industrial bees will breed them a little faster but I didn't really see the difference. I just used forest bees.

Bee traits are not that cut and dry. There is a pollination trait, and industrious bees start with that at the best level available. But that trait can be bred into other bees, or lost from a line of industrious bees. I know the line of Industrious I'm producing with lost the pollination speed at some point.

What happens is when the bee mutates, that "half" that mutated gets _all_ the defailt traits of the new breed, but the only thing connected directly to the breed itself and unchangeable is temp/humidity and outputs. Everything else can be changed through breeding or ExtraBees machines.

shanebassist

Jul 29, 2019
Firstly, the arrows are backwards. You start at one of the 4 base trees (oak, birch, spruce, jungle), when one of the leaves mutates, there is a certain chance what mutation you'll get. For instance, spruce has a 10% chance of Bull Pine and a 30% chance for mundane lark (I assume the boxes add together). Err, that is indeed less than 100, so now I'm more confused then when I started.

Maybe the remaining 60% the mutation just doesn't happen? I have no idea.

I Believe it means that there is x amount of chance to mutate, not that when it mutates this will happen this % of the time. Hope that made sense XD

Setari

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone know with the new forestry update if you can breed super fast growing apple trees?

Also do the trees have to be grown in order to 'breed' them or do you just plant them as saplings and when they grow you have a chance for improved/different saplings?

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone know with the new forestry update if you can breed super fast growing apple trees?

Also do the trees have to be grown in order to 'breed' them or do you just plant them as saplings and when they grow you have a chance for improved/different saplings?

The leaves have a chance to mutate when grown near other species of trees and active bees.

ThemsAllTook

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for this! I was having no fun at all trying to figure out arboriculture from trial and error. This has saved me a lot of headaches and wasted time.

Setari

Jul 29, 2019
The leaves have a chance to mutate when grown near other species of trees and active bees.

... so if I have fir trees and regular apple saplings it may or may not give me faster apple trees or something like that? So I wasted a couple days trying to just breed between oak trees...

Bickers

Jul 29, 2019
... so if I have fir trees and regular apple saplings it may or may not give me faster apple trees or something like that? So I wasted a couple days trying to just breed between oak trees...
if your useing the orchard to get the apples breeding oak and oak or spruce will have no effect as they dont give fruit you will prob need to breed oak with hill cherry trees

MouseyPounds

Jul 29, 2019
For anyone who has successfully bred a Willow tree, what biome were you located in? I never got one in Plains or Woodlands despite tons of bees & trees interacting and was only finally able to get one when I setup a pair of Marshy bees surrounded by the appropriate trees in a Swamp.

And also, I love the grafter. That one simple device has made tree breeding about 10,000 times less tedious and annoying. In the two days since our server upgraded to Forestry 2 as part of Mindcrack 8 I have gotten more new tree species than in the previous couple of weeks under the old version of Forestry. Yeah, I may have burned through most of a stack of bronze, but the only trees I have left to "discover" are the Yellow Meranti and the three whose breeding is bugged in version 2.0.0.2 (Wenge, Baobob, & Sipiri).

Reactions: Quesenek

ThemsAllTook

Jul 29, 2019
My willow tree was bred in the intersection between swamp and forest biomes. Not sure which one I actually got it in, but it could easily have been the swamp - would be interesting if that was actually a requirement!