Creating Flux

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

eable2

Jul 29, 2019
I'm at the point in my SP Mindcrack world where I want a permanent place to do Thaumcraft stuff. I don't want flux in my base, but I want to use various items that sometimes create flux. I could just put all of the thaumcraft stuff somewhere else (i.e. not in my base), but I don't want to if I don't have to. Goggles of revealing say my base is in a clean node. Is there a way to get rid of any flux I produce reliably?

One thing I don't quite understand is the silverwood tree. I know that it gives you essentially infinite vis, and I've read that it slowly purges areas of flux, but then I've also read that it can add to the local flux too. Can anyone clear this for me? Will planting my silverwood sapling in my base solve my problems?

foshka

Jul 29, 2019
A silverwood tree will make a new aura node where you plant it, and even might merge with one nearby.

The answer is that flux is complicated. And the best way to manage it is to use cauldrons carefully with those thingies that capture extra aspects. And if you want to do anything big, there is no reason why you can't go somewhere far away to do it.

eable2

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks... yeah now that I think about it, I'll just create an interdimensional linking book to somewhere else once Mindcrack gets Mystcraft. Still curious though.

Can I inadvertantly create flux with normal magical crafting? For example, do researching, crafting, using wands on stuff, and boiling in cauldrons (assuming I'm careful with what I put in), using the aspect jars, etc. have a chance to cause flux? I know that some things, like the infernal furnace, will do so.

Also, still looking for info on silverwood trees. Any help is appreciated!

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I've found that unless your on/near a dark node (one from them undermounds) Flux will bleed off over time. The nodes seem to pump High and up flux out into wisps and events. Dark nodes seem to do this also but never lower their flux level.

I was able to clear my base from dangerous levels of flux just by plopping down a chunk loader and coming back the next day.

As a side the node merging of Silverwood trees nodes seems to cause a flux spike.

Also the items that cause flux only do so while in use. The infernal furnace for example only seems to cause flux while it is smelting.

But over all you can mange your flux fairly easy with the arcane siphon thingies you can put on your cauldrons. Sorted aspects seem to have no effect on flux. So as long as you don't allow over flow you can minimize your flux.

The rule of thumb I've think I'm am starting to believe in as anytime you change Vis levels up or down or bleed off Aspects you cause Flux.

then again I could be wrong about all of this I've only been poking the mod a few days. And recently just started over on a new server so I don't even have any Thaum stuff now. Need to re-research it.

Neutrino

Jul 29, 2019
I've found that unless your on/near a dark node (one from them undermounds) Flux will bleed off over time. The nodes seem to pump High and up flux out into wisps and events. Dark nodes seem to do this also but never lower their flux level.

I was able to clear my base from dangerous levels of flux just by plopping down a chunk loader and coming back the next day.

As a side the node merging of Silverwood trees nodes seems to cause a flux spike.

Also the items that cause flux only do so while in use. The infernal furnace for example only seems to cause flux while it is smelting.

But over all you can mange your flux fairly easy with the arcane siphon thingies you can put on your cauldrons. Sorted aspects seem to have no effect on flux. So as long as you don't allow over flow you can minimize your flux.

The rule of thumb I've think I'm am starting to believe in as anytime you change Vis levels up or down or bleed off Aspects you cause Flux.

then again I could be wrong about all of this I've only been poking the mod a few days. And recently just started over on a new server so I don't even have any Thaum stuff now. Need to re-research it.

great Theres one right by my base ,tried to cure it with silverwood trees(didnt work)...And i think i have made it worse...Im in some deep dodo arent I?

Zmaster27

Jul 29, 2019
with wisps and other things, yes but at least you have a nice creepy aesthetics dungeon and whatever loot was inside it[DOUBLEPOST=1358905407][/DOUBLEPOST]
As the dwarfs say, "things are going to get fun"
do you play Dwarf Fortress by any chance?

Zmaster27

Jul 29, 2019
hehe i need to get back into that. its so hard to figure out though... ><
On topic: a silverwood tree will eat flux for you yes, its getting the sapling thats the issue also be sure to research crystal clusters from fragments as they will help replenish aura

zooqooo

Jul 29, 2019
Flux isn't that big of a deal in moderation. Even if levels at your base get too high, staying indoors until it clears works fine unless you're near a dark node.

If you have the goggles that let you see flux, your already in too deep to consider moving your thaumcraft room.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Flux isn't that big of a deal in moderation. Even if levels at your base get too high, staying indoors until it clears works fine unless you're near a dark node.

If you have the goggles that let you see flux, your already in too deep to consider moving your thaumcraft room.

It is never to late to move.

In a game with unlimited space and no time limits. Nothing ever stops you from packing up and moving somewhere else.